February 24th, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

If you want a new kind of challenge in EarthBound, try these codes courtesy of Nitrodon 😀

PAR: C0281D80
Game Genie: 6D4F-7704

If that code seems to freeze the game sometimes, add this other code too:

PAR: C0281E1A
Game Genie: FC4F-7764

This makes enemies appear a LOT more often. The change can sometimes be staggering. This is what it looks like when the game detects it’s on a pirated cartridge. I’ll talk more about all that another day 😛 But don’t worry, this code won’t delete your save games. It only makes enemies appear a lot more. I was going to show some pics, but I felt that this is something that’s better experienced than screenshotted.

36 Comments to EarthBound Crazy Enemies Code

Deiphobus said on Feb. 24, 2009

LOL if the game finds out the cartridge is pirated, it makes more enemies? Itoi must of had a lot of fun with making up what happens on pirated cartridges…

Mister Spook said on Feb. 24, 2009

So, no flash cart backup, then?

Giegue said on Feb. 24, 2009

@Deiphobus: There’s actually numerous things the game can do if it detects a pirated cart, tons of enemies is just one on the list.

I think I may actually want to try this out. It would make for a fun challenge, like M3’s Hard Mode

Leeman said on Feb. 24, 2009

I’ll have to dig through my boxes and see if I have a SNES GG kicking around. I know I have it for either that or the NES or both. Do you guys recommend cart versus emu or is there any difference?

Big A2 said on Feb. 24, 2009

Use the emulator. I wouldn’t risk your cart screwing up, even if they risk is tiny.

Millhouse said on Feb. 24, 2009

So if the game detects a pirated copy (checksums not right?), it still lets you play, but maks the game Hell for you?

AWESOME!!

Charles said on Feb. 24, 2009

Millhouse, EarthBound does other stuff too. But, I won’t spoil it as Mato says he’ll “talk more about all that another day.”

Viewtiful_Justin said on Feb. 24, 2009

This is super-intriguing. I may have to find an emulator and this ROM, as my SNES game genie seems to have gone missing shortly after it stopped working entirely. That thing was SERIOUSY FLAWED in design.

Mikhail said on Feb. 24, 2009

It won’t screw up your cart of save files, completely safe code. There is LOT’S of them.

Mikhail said on Feb. 24, 2009

I think Mato should create a list and see if he can find the various codes that can make the game screwy. It would be an interesting list.

rayefrenzy said on Feb. 24, 2009

oh man, now i wanna know what other things happen if the cart is pirated. ;-;

i didn’t even know snes carts could be easily pirated. shows how much i know!

Omnitarian said on Feb. 24, 2009

I’ve always wondered if anyone has played through the game on ‘piracy mode’. Is it fun? Share your experiences if you try it, anyone.

Aurilliux said on Feb. 24, 2009

XD I only knew of one evil thing the EB cart did when it knew it was pirated, this wasn’t it, and this is pretty cool.

Teal said on Feb. 24, 2009

Haha this looks fun I’d like to go through the hell that Itoi had planned for pirates.

Tsukihime said on Feb. 24, 2009

Awesome. I wonder what other things it did. I remember one more but that’s it. It would be intersting to play though.

Tsukihime said on Feb. 24, 2009

(Edit button would have been lovely here. But this should be fine.)
*Interesting

Difegue said on Feb. 24, 2009

So there is a way to only enable the hellish number of enemies part of the anti-piracy measure? neat

Exor said on Feb. 24, 2009

Amazing! I think it’s time for another run through of the game!

Darien said on Feb. 24, 2009

rayefrenzy: Pirating SNES games isn’t exactly “easy” in the way that pirating a PC game on a floppy disk is, but it’s perfectly doable. And it’s doable enough that piracy was a significant concern.

The only SNES game I ever tripped the anti-piracy measures on was Super Metroid. That just throws up a big old nag screen and then wipes your save data — rather dull compared to the interesting shenanigans Earthbound performs!

SHYKOOPA said on Feb. 24, 2009

Lol This anty-pirated copies method is genius.

By the way, are you 100% sure that this code will not make the game a pirated game?

I hear that near the end of Earthbound, if you were playing with a pirated copy, er… something happens (I won’t spoil you the information, I’m pretty sure the author knows of that :P)

ZEROGRAVITY-A01! said on Feb. 25, 2009

It’s not hard mode, it’s more like Lunatic Mode in Touhou.

A lot of enemies will swarm you like 1:10000.

Mr. Nosy said on Feb. 25, 2009

I wish there was a comprendium of SNES anti-piracy measures…
(I wonder what happens if Pole’s Big Adventure has anti-piracy measures.)

NovaMan XP said on Mar. 1, 2009

Yeah, having a pirated copy at the end of the game would make a person very depressed afterward.

Kopper said on Apr. 16, 2009

Not to mention very annoyed… It’s EVIL.

Stardude said on May. 24, 2009

I used the codes on a new game, and they worked. However, after I beat Frankystien, Spiteful Crows appeared infront of the arcade. When I fought them, the battle backround was still, and resembled glich city from pokemon! Does anyone else have this problem?

darkzzii said on Jun. 9, 2009

Mr. Saturn said on Mar. 10, 2010

I’m going to check the internets and see if I can find a complete list of pirated detection schemes.

BlueMage said on Sep. 14, 2010

This is an awesome code! I got a pizza from a skate punk without even trying!

PSI Rockin' said on Jan. 7, 2011

If I could pick what would happen on a Pirated Mother 3:
. Ultimant chimeras. Everywhere. Stalking you. AND RUNNING!
. The Franklin Badge never reflects the thunder attacks, it takes them and makes them 5X STRONGER!
. Every battle, it has Lucas doing the “For some reason, Lucas couldn’t bring himself to attack”
. You only get 1 EXP FROM ANY FIGHT!
. Masked Man’s thunder attack, KILLS LUCAS AND SHOOTS LIGHTNING EVERYWHERE, TRAPPING YOU IN A VORTEX THAT NEVER ENDS! And if you try and reset it, you’re game is DELETED!

Amras Felagund said on May. 17, 2011

“Green, green…”

Looks like that guy started his own new cult. I call them the Envy Envyists~

DaVince said on May. 22, 2011

I’m using the cheat now. It seems that the entire beginning of the game gets a lot easier because you’re levelling up quite rapidly and make quite a bit of money. I’m really enjoying this new experience (who’d’ve thought?).

DaVince said on May. 22, 2011

“ya it is no fun wen i hack my eb ness sprite is every were and i wen i toch him i get into a fight with giyguis.”

it is ar he man also no kiddin an your unreadable speech for grate justis

you can not grasp the true form of my username said on Nov. 2, 2012

it glitches up with both codes
HELP

BusterTheFox said on Nov. 5, 2012

I’ve always been interested in playing like this, but neither my DS emulator or the Wii’s VC support Game Genie codes… (I have a fake Earthbound VC channel…) I don’t like playing on PC emulators, mostly because I like using a controller. Using a keyboard is just… boring, somehow. Maybe if I had a decent USB controller… But, alas.

[…] Crazy enemy numbers in the Dusty Dunes Desert! I put in Crazy Enemies Code: Pro Action Replay: C0281D80 / Game Genie: 6D4F-7704 AND Pro Action Replay: C0281… […]

[…] This is a list of enemies in EARTHBOUND. The STARMEN page helped! Also, this GameFAQs document (Sulfur!) was a great asset. Crazy Enemies Code: Pro Action Replay: C0281D80 / Game Genie: 6D4F-7704 AND Pro Action Replay: C0281… […]