Shigesato Itoi, Giygas, and Boobies
I noticed something interesting yesterday. Because my EarthBound merchandise on eBay finder page updates about once an hour, I get to watch EarthBound stuff show up and get sold all the time. It’s pretty interesting, seeing what sells and what doesn’t, and how cheap or expensive a single item can go for.
But yesterday, because of all this recent stuff about no EarthBound on Virtual Console, I noticed a sudden drop in the number of items listed. Wondering what was up, I checked and saw that probably half of the EarthBound carts were suddenly gone, and all the Buy-It-Now EarthBound carts under $90 were sold off. Even some really expensive sets $250 and over were selling more than usual.
I’m wondering if this is because people are thinking “ugh, better get a real copy if it’s not coming to VC” or if people are hoarding them now so they can sell them for higher prices later on. Supply will always continue to go down, and demand is probably going to slowly increase over time, so these things are going to get more expensive over time unless the game is miraculously re-released in some fashion. The only economics stuff I learned was in my senior year of high school though, so my analysis of the situation can’t go much further than that, sadly.
But I’m still curious about this effect. Chrono Trigger SNES carts sometimes went for insane prices, but now that the DS port is out, have the SNES cart prices gone down? Or are they even more of a collector’s item now?
This kind of fusion of games and economics really interests me. I’d like to learn more about it somehow. Anybody know of any resources or information or other examples out there?
Other Related Posts:
61 Comments to EarthBound Cart Economics
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues