Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #37

February 15th, 2009 | Audio Stuff, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

This isn’t anything new, but a lot of people still don’t know about it. There’s an end credits sequence for the old GameBoy Camera, and the music that’s played is from Twinkle Elementary School in MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero. But because that game never left Japanese shores, most people will recognize the song from the file select song in EarthBound.

Check it out:

Hirokazu Tanaka, one of the main musicians for MOTHER 1 and MOTHER 2, did the music programming for the GameBoy Camera, which is why this song got in there. I wonder if he’s ever done any other subtle EarthBound references in anything else he’s done…

25 Comments to EarthBound and GameBoy Camera

Yorkshire Gold said on Feb. 15, 2009

Goddamn that’s some funky dancing.

kevinchai said on Feb. 15, 2009

I remember wanting to get one of these so bad, but I never got one 🙁
Does anybody else remember the commercial? “Smile! You’re on Gameboy Camera!”

kevinchai said on Feb. 15, 2009

Or did I make that up? I can’t find it on youtube.

Acedio said on Feb. 15, 2009

I think I remember that, too, keveinchai. I can find other people through a bit of searching that remember it, too, so I think we’re ok ;D

Jungyin said on Feb. 15, 2009

I wonder if that tune is in any other games he did music for, like Metroid.

Kind of reminds me of how Kazumi Totaka’s Song is in many of the games he did the music for.

a dude someplace far away said on Feb. 15, 2009

jesus, gameboy music is beautiful. i want to remake earthbound for gbc

DragonKazooie89 said on Feb. 15, 2009

Neat. I wonder if he snuck in any EB references in Pokemon Channel and Pokemon Colosseum

Poe said on Feb. 15, 2009

There appears to be a spastic iPod commercial happening in the background. Woo!

shamansanchez said on Feb. 15, 2009

I remember unlocking this on my Game Boy Camera. You had to beat the running game in under 22 seconds or something…

XX Stone said on Feb. 16, 2009

The music in the beginning kind of reminds me of Wisdom of the World for some reason…

Kurisuellegarden said on Feb. 16, 2009

=] I own this game. ^_^ I thought it was amazing when I was a kid but now that I look at it…I really can’t see any of the pictures. I can’t make of anything when I take a picture…

Ginrei said on Feb. 16, 2009

I had this game, and LOVED this song. I would watch the credits every single time I turned that game on… good memories.

I never noticed it was an EB song until I’d beaten EB and was staring at my comlete file with a sense of pride… and started humming along with the music. “H-hey! I know this song! Oh my gosh!” =)

Wil said on Feb. 16, 2009

On his Wikipedia Page it says that he (Hirokazu Tanaka) was in a couple bands before starting his Nintendo life.. Does anyone have any albums or bootlegs of those bands? I would love to hear them.

Teal said on Feb. 16, 2009

Haha! I remember this, I immediately recognized the song when I played the end credits of GameBoy Camera. For a long time I kept thinking NoA loves to tease us with these kind of things.

Olias said on Feb. 16, 2009

Pocket Camera is the only game I love more than mother. I have played it so extensively. I made a website two years ago about my analysis of the game. There are quite a few references to other games, especially in the japanese version.
the “SHOOT” menu greatly resembles the battle menu from MOTHER, for example. You should really get yourself a copy. It is beautiful.

Olias said on Feb. 16, 2009

also on my oldest gameboy camera (where the battery has since died) I had a fucking awesome loop done in the TRIPPY H DJ software of the song from Easter.

PSIchopath said on Jul. 7, 2009

THE
BEST
iPOD
AD
EVER

rainbowtrout said on Sep. 4, 2010

The very beginning reminds me of the magypsy theme. o.O is it just me?

The Earthbounder said on Jul. 3, 2011

Go To 1:33

It Says:

Advisor

Phil Sandhop
Erich Wass

Phil Sandhop Is The Guy Who Did The English Translation Of Mother That Got Canceled Back In 1991!

Anonymous said on Jul. 3, 2011

^He did the English translations for lots of games though. I just finished Yoshi’s Story the other day and under “English Script” in the credits was his name.

Mato said on Jul. 3, 2011

More technically, he wasn’t a translator, I don’t think he even knew any Japanese. He was more of a text editor/polisher – he would take the raw translated scripts and polish them up to sound more natural and fun.

Zoom! said on Aug. 2, 2011

cool! I’m getting get a GBCamera soon and I’ll listen to this the moment I get! =D

Blue Toad said on Feb. 23, 2013

I knew it sounded familiar! I have a gb camera.

DJMankiewicz said on Jun. 7, 2013

I got one of these back when they came out. I remember being surprised at the extremely low price of this little item. I think it was selling for around $20 at the time. The game had a Super Gameboy background but that’s as far as any special support went.

Yes, you could “win” at camera. The music isn’t just meant to be snuck in, there are references to all sorts of other Nintendo games. In fact, the whole interface is complete madness and insanity, one of the strangest things Nintendo has ever made. Look for videos of the general interface and be equal parts amazed, shocked, amused, and frightened.

Asok said on Oct. 18, 2013

It really was the most unusual device Nintendo came out with. But I, and I’m sure many others, had hours of fun with it, just screwing around taking pictures of friends, family, pets, etc. That thing was fun on the bun. Too bad Perfect Dark didn’t end up supporting it.

Find Merchandise!