EarthBound Fans Thank Shigesato Itoi Back
As far as I know, there are only two videos out there of EarthBound 64 in action. Every once in a while I look at them again and each time I have a different feeling. Like “man this would’ve sucked as a 3D game” or “it could’ve been the best RPG on the N64” or “thank god it was released for the GBA instead” or “Man, I wonder what the story would’ve been like in this version.”
The first video was shown at Spaceworld ’99, almost 10 years ago now. Man, were we ever excited. Before then, all we had to go on were crappy screenshots and horrible April Fools rumors about “Smell Paks” that the game would use.
This second video isn’t quite as well-known, but it’s also only like 1 second long normally. I had to slow it down so that it would even make sense. I believe it comes from a Spaceworld ’97 video previewing a whole bunch of N64 games that were in development, like Yoshi’s Story, Zelda 64, F-Zero X, etc.
What do you think? Is it good that the game was cancelled and remade for the GBA? Or would it have been better if it had been released on the N64? I think that it probably would’ve gotten an English release had it been finished on the N64, and the series probably would’ve had more life outside of Japan after that, maybe even resulting in a localized MOTHER 1+2. That’s just fantasy though, but I could see it happening if we built a time machine 😉
Other Related Posts:
72 Comments to EarthBound 64 Videos
- KingOfSwords: The Memories civer looks beautiful ;.;
- BoaTransistor: I got the Memories cover this year. In my factual opinion, it is the best-looking EarthBound cover they’ve released yet.
- Globulous: I picked up the Memories cover and planner while I was in Japan, it should be interesting to note that the pocket on the back of the...
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?