February 13th, 2009 | EarthBound, Videos

Floogal just let me know about this, but a recent speedrun of EarthBound was recorded by _sdfg, and it has a time of 4 hours and 13 minutes. This was done on a real console, so it’s not a tool-assisted run, it’s legit. It was recorded in 42 different parts, that way individual parts could be re-rerecorded if it didn’t seem optimum.

You can watch the speedrun here, and you can read the notes about it here. The notes he gives are really interesting, I love reading that kind of stuff. Check it out and try some of this stuff yourself sometime!

I can’t recall what the fastest speedrun for a full one-shot playthrough is, but from what I’ve heard SimonBob say, it’s probably in the 5 or 6 hour range right now. Anyone willing to record a speedrun with no re-records? 😉

19 Comments to 4:13 EarthBound Speedrun!

nmufred said on Feb. 13, 2009

My best time for a straight playthrough is 8 hours 35 minutes on a cartridge, although I don’t have the technology to record my runs.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Feb. 13, 2009

Wow. The shortest game I’ve ever done is about twenty hours. Of course, I always talk to everyone I can find, but still. I can’t even imagine doing this game in four hours.

Chasmang said on Feb. 13, 2009

Hmm, I can’t find the topic for my last, single-sitting speedrun, but the one before that was 7:34 (can’t remember if that’s the one SimonBob and I tied on).

I’m convinced I can shave it down to 6:30, though.

Chasmang said on Feb. 13, 2009

[excuse the double post]

If anyone could point me to an afforable and reliable method of recording my speedrun, I’d be more than willing.

I tried once before, but the device turned out to be a piece of junk.

nmufred said on Feb. 13, 2009

I would like to know how to record it as well, I do speed runs a few times a year.

Simon Roberts said on Feb. 13, 2009

Yeah, this is a segmented speedrun, which means he saved the game and redid certain areas until he got them as good as possible. It’s about halfway between a straight run and a tool-assist, since you can optimize each segment (but not every single individual aspect) and a single mistake doesn’t invalidate five hours of gameplay. But I’m a purist, because there’s just something zenlike about trippin’ on the game for one long session.

Chas is right, btw, we should easily be able to bring a single-run in under 7:00 at the least. ‘Course, I have designs on really cutting back with the crazy shortcuts you’ve been detailing lately, but that might be a pipe dream. ;D

Mato said on Feb. 13, 2009

I agree, a full one-sitting run is what I’m most interested in. But it looks like even that is going to wind up splitting into two or more schools of thought: one where it’s okay to do all these new wall glitches and skip huge sections of the game and one where you play the game normally, as intended.

I think even the latter might get kind of fuzzy – which glitches/tricks are okay to use and which aren’t?

But I get the feeling it won’t be a huge deal for most people – most people will probably just be in awe at all this cool stuff 😉

Eddward said on Feb. 13, 2009

For anyone that want’s to try and make a faster run or a single segment (no save/loading) run should check with Speed demos archive’s forum members. They know everything about running though games fast. They are also friendly. 🙂

Darkdata said on Feb. 14, 2009

TOOL ASSISTED RUNS ARE LEGIT
They don’t use codes, they don’t hack the rom, and they don’t edit the video.

All they do is play it with the best tools to pick apart the game and watch it while playing it.

Mato said on Feb. 14, 2009

NOBODY IS SAYING THEY AREN’T LEGIT

ZombiePaul said on Feb. 14, 2009

If anything, I think there should be two seperare records (Tool assited and glitch exploited VS “pure” runs). It’s like comparing apples and oranges. Mmmm… apple and oranges.

ZombiePaul said on Feb. 14, 2009

I meant to say, “separate” records up there, which I’m sure you guys guessed, but ya never know. I really need to start checking those before I post ’em, sorry 🙂

Chasmang said on Feb. 14, 2009

I think each type of speedrun has their own interesting quirks that make them fun to watch. I’m personally more interested in doing “pure” runs, though.

So, any suggestions of an easy method of recording?

Nezumi said on Apr. 2, 2009

my best time on Earthbound

Earthboundfan22 said on Apr. 6, 2009

I saw this guy on google video do it in about 3hours 25 minutes

Earthboundfan22 said on Apr. 6, 2009

I heard of this guy do it in about 3hours 25 minutes

Otter said on Aug. 19, 2009

While I appreciate anything new involving Earthbound, I couldn’t possibly bring myself to race through the game. I love it too much.

Shyamalan said on Jun. 12, 2010

Dear god, 413… It’s EVERYWHERE!

GiegueFanboy said on Feb. 7, 2012