Itoi MOTHER 2 Stream Over
A recent Weekly Famitsu included a look back at the old ad flier for MOTHER 1. Fliers were (and still are) a popular way of advertising games in Japan, and I guess they bring back fond memories for some people.
Anyway, here are the scans from the retrospective:
I don’t have time to translate all the commentary text, but here are some key points of interest:
- MOTHER was released July 27, 1989. We’re almost at the 20 year annivesary.
- Itoi liked games, but decided to put his own unique spin on what was an absolute standard back then – he put the game in the modern times, took out magic swords and stuff like that, and gave it an American feel.
- Itoi thought it was really weird for monsters to be carrying money around, so he came up with the idea of your dad putting money in your bank account
- The map you walk on doesn’t have little town icons you step on to enter a town – it’s all one huge, connected map. The map on the flier served as an actual world map for the game.
- The front of the flier has the slogans “Guaranteed Masterpiece” and “No crying until the end”, taken straight from the TV commercial, and even has a picture of the kids from the commercial. Of course, Itoi had no idea if it would really become a famous hit or not, but he put it there anyway.
- The idea of the map on the back of the flier was taken straight from Dragon Quest fliers.
- The slogan “No crying until the end” wasn’t Itoi’s creation. Hiroshi Ichikura, another famous copywriter, came up with it.
Other Related Posts:
39 Comments to 1989 MOTHER 1 Flier
- Lvl.1 Chef: Thanks for the shout out! Jammy’s really doing some great stuff and I love that Pork Noodle cup haha. Makes me want to try doing...
- 4am: Cool, very cool. On another note, I wonder how Jeffman is doing with the translation of MOTHER 1+2 currently. I hope he decided to use the...
- PSI MOTHER: cómo me gustaría comer un ramen al estilo de Mother3 ;( bueno.. aunque creó qué es fácil de hacer ya qué mientras me hacía un bocadillo...
- PSI MOTHER: viva MOTHER
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...