RARE Near Mint EarthBound (Super Nintendo Entertainment System, 1995)

January 2nd, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

Here’s a strange glitch thing in EarthBound that very few seem to know about.

If you go to this one section below the bottom right pillar in the Threed circus tent and press L, sometimes the text box will seem to delay a tiny bit. If you keep doing this over and over, you can get it to do weird stuff. Usually it just prints garbage letters and sometimes prints garbage letters in strange new windows that open. But once I got the sprites on the screen to screw up, then the screen went mostly black and started playing random sound effects slowly and at strange playback frequencies.

The bug has never messed with my save data, but maybe you should back up your saves if you want to give it a try. I wonder if there’s any way to exploit this bug. And I wonder if it can be done in other places in the game…

34 Comments to Threed Circus Tent Glitch

Twyleiht said on Jan. 11, 2009

Wow, I was watching this and….

After the first couple of seconds: “Wow…”
Later: “Baaad coding error.”
Later: “Okay, what’s going on?”

I concluded that the coders from NOA were lazy and couldn’t add another block there or something to prevent that.

gBev said on Jan. 12, 2009

I’ll bet that if it can be found there, a similar glitch could be found elsewhere in the game, but there’s too many things to check to ever be sure.

its trying t o tell us something said on Jan. 13, 2009

its a secret code

sticktendo said on Jan. 24, 2009

I just did this on an emulator. I used turbo, it took forever, and eventually, I could move. The sound was glitched, though. When I looked at my stats, the emulator crashed. Weird, huh?

Mr. Tenda said on Jan. 26, 2009

This might have to do with this room being the one on the bottommost, rightmost part of the EarthBound map.

Claus said on Mar. 30, 2009

???????????

Reed said on Aug. 28, 2009

It did something slightly different when I tried it. Random junk appeared on the first check, and after about a minute, P’s started randomly appearing on the screen. This went on for about 3 minutes.

Then, it displayed the following:

Ness ate a piece of bubble gum, but it wasn’t satisfying as food.

(random junk)

P . ate a piece of bubble gum, but it wasn’t satisfying as food.

(Plays random sound effects from the game, including the “War Against Giygas” intro music.)
Shortly after, the game froze.

Kyle said on Sep. 1, 2009

I did this glitch and i had a menu pop up and it let me choose between like 10 options and i chose one at random and it teleported me to onett… lmfao. i did it on my snes. this is a fuckin crazy glitch xD

Anonymous said on Jan. 8, 2010

WP
WP
WP
WP
WP
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

shibaru said on Jan. 10, 2010

Reminds me of what my friend is like when I don’t IM her for a while and Don’t answer when she says “Are you there?”

death said on Feb. 20, 2010

what the hell

Wafffo! said on Mar. 3, 2010

all i got after a few minutes was
8q8q8q8q8q8q8q
AAAAAAAAeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
j0Kde#5g92%jgs8v%jslfjtnr
Ness’s HP are maxed out!
Paula’s HP are maxed out!
Jeff’s HP are maxed out!
Poo’S HP are maxed out!

then it sent me back to Twoson

Mr. Saturn said on Mar. 10, 2010

I wonder what happens if you do this in Mother 2? In other words, the Japanese version.

Overcoming Shyness said on Mar. 30, 2010

E tanks!!

Mr. Saturn said on Apr. 5, 2010

I have an even weirder glitch
I was in Tenda Village after defeating Master Barf, and I phoned my dad. I went into the status menu, and when I got to Poo, nothing appeared and the screen went red.
WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?!

Pyroguy42 said on May. 17, 2010

I did this and , it may be just me, but enemies in Fourside and Moonside are appearing more common then usual. I’ve rarely seen a Mad Taxi and now I’m getting them fairly common. Enraged Fire Plugs and Robo Pumps are insane. I’ve gotten to Giygas before, so I’m a little concerned.

Robo85 said on May. 27, 2010

i messed around with this before, it transported me to the cafe and then i walked through a wall ” couldn’t control it ” found a monkey and then it crashed it was weird.

johnny said on Sep. 28, 2010

I just tried this on the real game on my snes and it totally did the same thing, so i dont think it has anything to do with the rom,

Mother 2 kirby said on Oct. 18, 2010

@Mr. Saturn I tried this on my Mother 2 Cart, first a line mixed with japanese, numbers, and letters came up then other random stuff and a mix of the normal japanese font and japanese Mr. Saturn font! afterwards the game went crazy and froze!

I just reset it and got to the file screen and it went crazy again!

no name given said on Nov. 26, 2010

I tried it today, first what happen was random text, but then after the 8 melodies music started playing, then it warped me to deep darkness. What is stranger is that I could move! Random text was still poping out and I couldn’t talk to anyone. I tried to fight and enemy but the screen went white and froze. What would have happen if I tried to kill myself by drowning there? Could this glitch be used by speedgamers?

Decho said on Dec. 15, 2010

The only weird glitch I ever had with the game was once when I teleported, Ness ran into a butterfly when he was finishing his teleport and on the far right of the screen and the game froze up.

Miss Saturn said on Mar. 30, 2011

I heard that the glitch was due to the circus tent in Threed being right next to what was left of the debug room.

Kevin said on Dec. 23, 2011

There’s a similar glitch spot like this in the upper right corner of the Onett map. However, getting there requires a Skip Sandwich and rapid jittering of the controls above a specific cliff area. If done right, Ness will walk through the top of the cliff and ignore the boundary, allowing you to walk to the upper right corner of the map.

Dialga Thunderstar said on Jan. 31, 2012

the game secretly likes the letter Q.

RadicOmega said on Feb. 18, 2012

Fact: The letter Q is the least likely letter to be used.

And that is certaintly why EarthBound chosed it!

Earth Saturn said on Mar. 17, 2012

“No problem here.” Yeah, you keep telling yourself that…

Chris Highwind said on May. 14, 2012

Wow, I never saw that glitch ever. You learn new things about your childhood games every day.

Pigmask said on Aug. 26, 2013

I tried this in the Wii U version. Either they fixed it or I was doing it wrong.

Mato said on Aug. 26, 2013

No, it still works, it just takes some practice and time.

Anonymous said on Aug. 26, 2013

I’ve done this on an emulator quite a bit and eventually it gave me Buzz Buzz back. I walked around with him for quite a while before the game crashed.

It’s also teleported me to being inside the wall where you would usually go to Moonside several times.

Another Anonymous Person said on Sep. 7, 2013

@Pigmask

I was trying this glitch recently on my Wii-U. In fact, there was this one glitch that happened during that where there was this loud sound-effect cluster-f*** that looped and looped, while the sprites and screen got messed up and I had to reset the game. This happened not once, but twice, in a row, before I started to get “q”s all over my text-boxes, which got very annoying.

Mac said on Sep. 8, 2013

Does anyone know why this happens?

Mato said on Sep. 8, 2013

I think it’s because you’re at the boundary of the giant world map, and by checking an area that’s both outside the current room map and outside the giant world map, the game checks data used for other stuff in the game, which causes unpredictable behavior.

Here’s the giant world map for reference. The Threed tent is in the bottom right, so when you’re checking that corner, you’re checking outside the bounds of the map data:

ZeroSquared said on Jan. 21, 2014

Once it started printing each letter/character in the game, and then it started using Poo’s Ancestors’ text and it was like, “I will cut your arms off and feed them to crows.” That was creepy. o_o All other times it just did “qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq…” though, haha.