MOTHER Series in Nintendo World
January 18th, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up
Hurray! This is the very first weekly roundup for EarthBound Central! These weekly updates will be filled with various small tidbits of info that doesn’t really deserve full updates of their own, but are still really cool and worthy of checking out 😀 And other stuff thrown in, too.
Right now, I’m still working on finishing up the site’s programming and a bunch of the content. I’ll probably have most of it finished in a week or two. Like I mentioned before, during this time, I’ll also be giving out custom avatars to people who’re hanging around the site now, as a kind of thanks for helping me test the site out. The offer only lasts for a week or two though, after that I probably won’t give out custom avatars, or if I do, it’ll only be on special occasions or if people send me Double Burgers or something. So this is your chance to be special 😛
I also secretly updated the MOTHER 1 Novel page this week. I added about 20 or more pages. I set things up so that it’s easy for me to update this, so expect this to be updated a lot more frequently now 😀 I’ll also be updating M2EB in a similar manner from now on, or at least once I have EBC fully up and running.
- The biggest news this week was that MOTHER/EarthBound Zero topped Nintendo Power’s most wanted NES game on VC poll. (Story here)
- There was also a lengthy 1UP.com Retronauts podcast about EarthBound, EB0, Itoi, and all that stuff. I recommend it, it was a nice listen, and I usually can’t stand any podcasts at all 😛 (Story here)
- A fan made a very nice and detailed look at MOTHER 3’s musical battle system. I recommend giving it a read at least once. (Story here)
- While I’ve been extra busy with work and with getting EB Central up, I have done a little bit more translation work on the MOTHER 1+2 project. I’m in no rush to finish it, but it’s a LOOOOOOOT easier to work on than MOTHER 3. It’s still too early to guess when it might be done though. But I have some really cool possible plans for it. I’ll post more details later if stuff happens.
Auctions & Merch. Stuff!
I’ve been working on the merchandise section of EBC lately, and it’s been fun trying to find all this obscure merchandise nobody’s ever heard of. I’m also always trying to find new places to be able to obtain this stuff, so if you know of any obscure sites, let me know!
Anyway, here are a few recent auctions that’ve caught my eye!
- EarthBound Cart for $75 – a very good deal as far as EB carts go!
- EarthBound Cart for like $79 w/ free shipping!
- EarthBound, complete w/ cart, guide, box for $175 – very good deal 😯
- MOTHER 2 cart for $9!
- MOTHER 1+2 original release for $39!
- MOTHER 1 complete with cart, box, etc. for $50!
- MOTHER 1+2 and 3 for $115, with free shipping!
- MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box for $285, with free shipping!
- Official MOTHER 2 manga! – rare and cool, I recommend!
- MOTHER Sounds ep Doujin CD – first time I’ve ever seen this, I wonder what it’s like…
- (YAJ) Rare MOTHER 2 flier!
As always, there’s a listing of tons of EB/MOTHER merchandise here that’s automatically updated approximately every hour. So keep an eye on it, maybe you’ll spot something cool!
- Reid posted some stuffage about the M3 Handbook preorders, etc.
- Some new pages of Birdy and Chimera! Hurray! – I love this thing to death
- Ninten Speaks got a new installment 😀
- Latin American Spanish MOTHER 3 Translation has a sweet new-ish video!
- Spain Spanish MOTHER 3 Translation also has a video!
What’s Up With Itoi
Shigesatoi Itoi posts daily thoughts on his site at 1101.com. Sometimes they’re about his daily life, sometimes they’re about stuff he’s been thinking about. Here I’ll keep non-Japanese speakers up to date with very quick summaries of what he’s been up to! Note that he also has a photo blog that he updates several times a day, and then there’s a photo blog of stuff that happens in his office, and it’s usually updated many times a day too. It’s all really interesting and often funny stuff.
Early in the week, Itoi suddenly caught a cold or something. This one show he appears on about once a year almost seems cursed, because he’s always sick each time he goes on it, and this was another case of it.
He later mentioned that he just realized something thanks to his wife: he’s always slept when he’s exhausted, not when it’s time to sleep. He’s going to try to fix that bad habit.
He then discusses the phrase “This isn’t the time for that.” He says that adults use this all the time, and that kids don’t really understand it. But because they hear it all the time from adults, when they grow up to be adults themselves, they wind up relying on “This isn’t the time for that” as reasons/excuses not to do things. He hopes to fix this about himself.
Itoi switched to an iPhone finally. He didn’t really plan on getting one at first, but just went for it one day. He really likes it and he’s really impressed by it. The thing is, by saying this, he’s probably gotten a good number of readers to get one too. His site is insanely popular. So that’s some good free press for Apple 😉
The next day, he said he was going on a trip to Shanghai, but for the first time in forever, he’s going without a computer. He’s going to use his iPhone and a companion’s computer if necessary, but wants to try being computer-free for at least a short time. He’s not going to be in Shanghai long, but he could see himself coming back again. Incidentally, here’s a pic he took from the 100th floor of a building in Shanghai 😯 Lastly, Itoi talked about his experiences there, and how Chinese writing on stuff sometimes fools him because he tries to decipher using Japanese kanji meanings.
While I’m here, I wanna publicly thank Unlimited Lumpia for creating the EBC logo on such short notice and for doing a whole bunch of work very quickly 😀
Also, fans of the MOTHER 3 translation blog will be happy to know that Mitch has offered to do some occasional art and comics for EB Central. Wait, what’s this? Why, I do believe it’s the very first thing of his for EBC 😯
(click to see full thing)
Later this week we’ll look more at the next part of my crazy EB cart save game. It’s got some cool stuff. I’ll also try to get a new M2EB update up finally. I want to get that thing rolling again too. I’m thinking I might do the M1 novel one week, then M2EB the next, and then do that until they’re finished. The site will also get some slight renovations and some bugs fixed. I’ll probably also start on my super-duper detailed article about Itoi, so expect that in a week or two or three. And of course there’ll be the usual not-very-known stuff and all the daily discussion that’s quickly becoming a staple of EBC 😀
Yikes, this is pretty long! I think as time goes on, this weekly round-up thing will get all the kinks worked out of it. Hopefully this will be the first of many weekly round-ups to come, too 🙂
By the way, because I can’t be everywhere at all times, if you run across anything EarthBound-related (especially news) that you think belongs on EB Central, let me know! You can e-mail me here. This also goes for cool EB-centric fan things too, like Birdy & Chimera and Fobbies Are Borange; if anything like this gets an update duing the week, let me know and I’ll probably mention it during the weekly round-up. My goal is to make this stuff easier for casual fans to discover, so any help I can get will be muchly appreciated 😀
Other Related Posts:
17 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #1
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues