MOTHER Intro Redux
Many probably know by now that Giygas in EarthBound was partly inspired by a really old murder mystery movie. I even tracked down a copy and wrote a huge thing about it here.
This afternoon, I finally got around to making a short video of stuff from the movie, mostly THE scene and some stuff that happens after. It’s like a super quick version of the movie: Title screen, movie climax, end screen. All in five minutes. I even subtitled stuff into English so people would understand things a tiny bit better. You can see the video here:
I wish I could translate the whole movie, I liked it quite a bit actually. But alas, I don’t have much time and since I do this kind of stuff as my day job, I’m not that eager to go and do the same thing in my spare time
Anyway, I’ve noticed that the movie’s getting rarer and going up in price, so if you’re a collector of EarthBound and EarthBound-related stuff, you might still be able to find a copy at Play-Asia or Amazon Japan.
Oh, I should note, since I cut out so much of the movie, that just before the grassy scene, the guy had agreed to marry the woman. What’s funny is that 1. there was no rape and 2. there wasn’t even any sex, and 3. there wasn’t even really any love-making. Itoi’s memory of the movie must’ve really changed in those 50+ years.
Other Related Posts:
62 Comments to The Scene that Inspired Giygas
- anon: I hope they add a 3D flying man to the game somehow, even as a trophy. It’s really cool to see Earthbound characters that were only...
- Mato: (After removing a number of comments) Okay, this is turning into a silly argument that’s unrelated to the topic at hand, so I’ll...
- JRokujuushi: Did three people seriously criticize his use of “it’s” when it was used correctly? If we substitute the words in...
- wvlfpvp: NekoKnight: It’s a username. Spelling is how you freaking want it to be. I replaced vowels with the consonant “v”...
- Anonymous: ^the final translation patch sounds fine, though. You always go on and on about how awkward it sounds, but it’s really not as bad...