Itoi & Let’s Meet in a Dream
Many probably know by now that Giygas in EarthBound was partly inspired by a really old murder mystery movie. I even tracked down a copy and wrote a huge thing about it here.
This afternoon, I finally got around to making a short video of stuff from the movie, mostly THE scene and some stuff that happens after. It’s like a super quick version of the movie: Title screen, movie climax, end screen. All in five minutes. I even subtitled stuff into English so people would understand things a tiny bit better. You can see the video here:
I wish I could translate the whole movie, I liked it quite a bit actually. But alas, I don’t have much time and since I do this kind of stuff as my day job, I’m not that eager to go and do the same thing in my spare time
Anyway, I’ve noticed that the movie’s getting rarer and going up in price, so if you’re a collector of EarthBound and EarthBound-related stuff, you might still be able to find a copy at Play-Asia or Amazon Japan.
Oh, I should note, since I cut out so much of the movie, that just before the grassy scene, the guy had agreed to marry the woman. What’s funny is that 1. there was no rape and 2. there wasn’t even any sex, and 3. there wasn’t even really any love-making. Itoi’s memory of the movie must’ve really changed in those 50+ years.
Other Related Posts:
62 Comments to The Scene that Inspired Giygas
Featured Item on eBay:
MOTHER Perfect Strategy Game Guide w/Map Book Japan Famicom FREESHIP RARE TM
- EpicJackman: I personally prefer the pixel version. Magicant is probably my favorite stage in the game (then again, they’re all awesome). I...
- Oniglut: For a second, I thought the article talked about the flying man being a part of the SSB4 roster. Which would have been hella cool but...
- Raiden: Wow. This game has a die hard fanbase. It might be small but it’s really strong. It kinda makes me want to play this game again.
- Anonymous: They probably haxed both of them at once to show the difference for people who haven’t played the game
- TheConfuZzledDude: I still find it a bit strange how the pixel version is right next to it. Maybe it was supposed to go 3d when you tagged it?