January 27th, 2009 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

A lot of people don’t realize this, but you know the end credits of EarthBound? The real credits, where the programmers and stuff are named? You know that nice, long song that plays? Itoi actually wrote lyrics for that song, though they’re never sung in the game of course. One of the thing Itoi often does is write lyrics to songs that his musician friends make, and this is just another case of it.

If you’re still not sure what song I’m talking about, here’s the song straight from EarthBound:

Anyway, these secret lyrics are included near the beginning of the MOTHER 2 instruction booklet. The instruction booklet is full of cool and interesting stuff, so if you like collecting EB stuff, you can probably find a boxed copy of MOTHER 2 online somewhere for $10 or $20. It’s really cool stuff.

Here are the lyrics in Japanese and an English translation of what they’re saying:

Smiles and Tears (Original Japanese Lyrics)

Otonatachi no hanbun mo ikitewa inai keredo
omoide no kazu naraba ryukku ni ippai sa
o ki ni iri no besubooru kyappu kakato tsubureta suniikaa
poketto no oku ni aru yo surihetta gitaa pikku
namida ga chigireru kurai kanashii koto mo atta kedo
itsudemo kimi ga boku no soba ni itekureta
tomodachi no mama iru to futari zutto omotteta
kizukanai mama tabun kimi o ai shiteta

warai attari asondari kizu tsukinagara aruku
chikamichi mawari michi mo mayoinagara oboeta
shinjirareru hito dake iru wake nai to shitemo
shinjiru haato dake wa suterarenai to shitta
ari no mama no kimi dake ga boku o tsuyoku shitekureta
itsudemo kimi ga boku o tsuyoku shitekureta
yasashii kaze ga fuku yoo ni kusa o nadeteiku yoo ni
itsudemo kimi wa egao misete aruiteta

soo namida to egao kawarugawaru ni
miseatta futari wa…..
I miss you
tooku ni hanarete

Smiles and Tears (English Translation)
(Note that these aren’t meant to go with the melody, they’re just straight translations)

I haven’t lived even half as long as adults have,
but I do have plenty of memories in my backpack
My favorite baseball cap, my sneakers with worn-out heels
Deep in my pocket is my worn-down guitar pick
There were some things sad enough to make tears come out,
but you were always by my side
I thought of the two of us as just friends the whole time
I probably loved you without ever realizing it

We walked while we laughed, played, and got hurt
I realized it as we took shortcuts and went in circles:
that even if you can’t believe in everyone
you can’t cast aside a heart you do believe in
You made me stronger just being who you are
Like a gentle wind blowing and swaying the grass
you always walked with a smile

Yes, the two who shared smiles and tears one after the other…..
(I miss you)
…..are now far apart…..

Thanks to the advent of YouTube and such, there are now videos of Japanese fans singing this and other MOTHER series songs. Here’s someone singing Smiles & Tears:

And here’s a version that’s sung like a traditional Japanese folk song. And here’s a version done with a male voice.

I think it would be awesome if someday they have a full version of this with an awesome singer at like one of those game music concerts they love to have in Japan. If anyone, Itoi could get it to happen.

22 Comments to Smiles & Tears – Lyrics

Cafechan said on Jan. 27, 2009

Ahh!! I never knew there were real lyrics!
I even made up english lyrics and recorded myself singing it, too… now I feel silly.

That’s cool, though. I love this song.

kevinchai said on Jan. 27, 2009

I am in love with this song! Like I want to make out with it and stuff!

Fooboo said on Jan. 27, 2009

I just love songs pf the Mother series, especially with lyrics, they’re just great, and optimistic.

RaffaO said on Jan. 27, 2009

Ness sang this song, didn´t he?
But he sang this song for Paula ? or for his mom? or for a random people?

Q said on Jan. 27, 2009

I think I saw this once before, because I remember trying to set the English words to the music so that my sister and I could sing along during the credits.

Q said on Jan. 27, 2009

Found it. Some of the rhymes are pretty pedestrian but I couldn’t think of anything better. Maybe someone else can improve it 🙂

Dear Player,

I wanted to share with you the words to a song that was written by Mr. Shigesato Itoi, the person who designed this game. As a child, he always sang along with the music of the video games that he played. So, when he went to write his own story for people to play, he thought it would be good for the melodies in it to have words, so that all the players could sing along, too.

This song is called “Smiles and Tears”. You will hear it a few times during the game, and as you get farther the melody that goes with the words will become more clear; it is even the song that plays during the game’s credits! I have included a translation of the words to English below. This is for the long version of the song when it plays at the end of the story (since it doesn’t match exactly with the Japanese phrasing, I included – signs so you know when to hold a syllable). So once you know the tune, you don’t need to be shy about singing along, OK?

“Smiles and Tears”

Grown ups have seen- so much more- than me
So many things- that I still- want to see
So I- took my back-pack- in-to the world
and filled- it with- memories

My fav’rite base-ball cap- on my head
My worn out snea-kers, a fa-ded white and red
My lu-cky guitar- pick shi-ny and clear
Safe- in my po-cket, right here.

Though sometimes I- got- sad- and almost cried
You were al-ways- with- me-, by- my side.
I knew- that- we- were friends to the core
But may-be it was- something more

(Instrumental music plays for a while here. You can enjoy listening to it until the main “Eight Melodies” tune comes back.)

Together we- walked that road- for so long
We laughed, we played,- we got hurt,- we grew strong
Ta-king short-cuts, and- getting lost,
I learned- what I’d known- all along:

That even if- you- can’t- believe
In the good-ness of ev-eryone- you meet
Sometimes- you- know-, and you can’t let go
Belie-ving in- your friend

And just by be-ing- there,- you see,
Just by be-ing- who- you’d al-ways be
You helped- me- grow-, you helped me to know
The stro-nger, ha-ppier me

Like a gen-tle breeze,- through grass- and- trees
You al-ways carr-ied a smile

Yes we,- who- shared- our smiles- and our tears…

…we two- are now…

…far apart.

Spitball Sparky said on Jan. 27, 2009

I tried to get it to fit the melody awhile back and came up with this…

I haven’t lived long I’m still pretty young
But I have plenty of memories with me
A bat, my shoes with worn out heals
Even my old guitar pick

We laughed, we cried, we talked, sometimes fell down
I knew as we wandered around and ’round
If I can’t trust everybody
I still can beleive in you (in you)
You have made me stronger just by being who you are
You always wear that smile

The two who shared
Their smiles and tears
(I Miss You)
Are now very far…apart

I cut out and rearranged some stuff to get it to fit. Meh.

Smash Bass said on Jan. 27, 2009

I didn’t know what were the lyrics for this song until now. It’s so cute. :3

Jupiter-x said on Jan. 28, 2009

Man, this song always gets me… ;_;

Skulryk said on Jan. 28, 2009

I think I remember reading the English words in a long EB fanfic a while back. Never knew where they came from, although they seemed vaguely familiar. Good to know!

Tansunn said on Jan. 28, 2009

I think it’s interesting how these lines are completely omitted from the versions that were sung:

shinjirareru hito dake iru wake nai to shitemo
shinjiru haato dake wa suterarenai to shitta

And these lines were only included in the Vocaloid rendition:

tomodachi no mama iru to futari zutto omotteta
kizukanai mama tabun kimi o ai shiteta

cafink said on Jan. 28, 2009

I always thought it was strange that the MOTHER 2 instruction manual included song lyrics, in spite of the fact that no song in the game actually had lyrics.

The manual’s world map was also really cool.

The retard of epic proportions said on Feb. 16, 2009

I’ve always loved this song more than the EB0 8 melodies, I’ve always loved Matcabs’ english rendition of this and I’m thinking about recording it with his lyrics because I’m lazy and can’t make my own.

Near said on Feb. 23, 2009

So, is this like, from Ness to Paula?

Guess said on Mar. 14, 2009

An alternate theory I like is that it’s from Ness to the player.

someone not important said on Apr. 25, 2009

I cried when I read these lyrics, and didn’t stop for about an hour because it reminded me of my former best friend. We had been freinds for almost a decade, and we are no longer friends thanks to my stupid mistake a couple of months ago.

CloudMallo said on Oct. 8, 2009

This song is extremely inspiring, sad, beautiful and awesome, unlike some of the “modern” stuff we may hear today. I printed the sheet music to play it on the piano!

Ninji said on Nov. 28, 2009

awesome song…. I love it!

king koopa said on Jun. 27, 2010

this is almost the second time i cried to this song. so much for being a tough koopa king :/

angryreimu said on Jun. 17, 2011

I just realized that was Kanipan on the second one.

BigDream said on Aug. 17, 2011

A woman named Edo on Youtube made this sound better.

Kaabii said on Jun. 26, 2013