January 14th, 2009 | Itoi, MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge

To people who’ve played EarthBound Zero a lot, this might be old news, but a lot of people give up long before the desert part of the game, so they don’t have the chance to come across this weird extra thing Itoi put hid in the game.

Basically, if you’re crazy enough to walk on this one single tiny spot in this huge desert (which is just a portion of the HUGE world map), you’ll get a secret message from Itoi himself. Finding it doesn’t give you anything or change anything, but I bet people who found it by themselves were really excited when they accidentally came across it 😀

If you don’t feel like trying to find the spot yourself, just consult this map. It used to be that nobody ever had a detailed map to point out its location, but now here’s one thanks to Artemis and Goplat! So if you ever see someone ask about the land mine, just point ’em here!

16 Comments to Shigesato Itoi’s Secret Land Mine

Mikhail said on Jan. 14, 2009

Wow… Awesome stuff. Mato, please keep posting all this interesting stuff, it’s awesome!

Poe said on Jan. 14, 2009

Holy crap that’s a huge desert. 😯

chicobo329 said on Jan. 14, 2009

One thing I loved about Mother 1 was that the overworld maps were HUGE. I love huge maps and I loved exploring them to find all sorts of nook and crannies and other oddities (like that infinity-symbol arrangement of trees up north in this map :^D). I’ve played and beaten Mother 1 twice, the difficulty is tough but I don’t let that damper my love of exploration.

I know it’ll be a while until you return to the EB0 Remake project, but one of the things I look forward to the most are the large map sizes. Maybe you could reward players like myself who love to explore by tossing some random treasure around?

Alxprit said on Jan. 14, 2009

I didn’t have the power to make it that far across the desert my first time. I’ll do it next time…

…if I ever WANT to play it again.

Reg said on Jan. 14, 2009

Sometimes I sit and wonder how I got through that huge desert (and the rest of the game, for that matter).

Clockerstance said on Jan. 14, 2009

Oh. My. God.
You disobeyed a direct order from Sir Itoi.
You should be ashamed.

Mato said on Jan. 14, 2009

Heh, reminds me of the secret message I put in Mother 3 and how it says not to tell anyone. And then the first person to find it told everyone, right on the SM.Net boards even 😛

Smash Bass said on Jan. 15, 2009

Once I clear the game I will try to find that spot by myself. It will be fun. 😀

Deiphobus said on Jan. 15, 2009

i love huge games of exploration like mother =D

Izumi said on Jan. 16, 2009

I actually found this~!

Teal said on Jan. 22, 2009

I disagree with the first image talking to the skeleton. I loved driving around in the desert with a tank. Anyway this is kind of like Ruffini the dog in the Onett drug store.

skyrunner14 said on May. 26, 2009

Actually, something does happen in-game when you step on the mine. If I’m not mistaken, two NPCs lines in Ellay change slightly if you hit the mine and then talk to them afterwords. You can find them both in the Livehouse if I remember correctly, but I know atleast one of them is in there.

StarFan said on Dec. 21, 2010

TGP said on Apr. 10, 2011

I thought it DID change things though.
Like Skyrunner said, the NPCs start referencing about the landmine afterward.

BigDream said on Feb. 1, 2012

I love it when the fourth wall breaks.

RadicOmega said on Mar. 12, 2012

Actually Mato, when you said stepping on it doesn’t change anything it actually does.

When you go to the night club the will make a bunch of remarks on how they stepped on dog crap and not a land mine.

I heard this in Chugga’s LP of the game.

Find Merchandise!