January 22nd, 2009 | EarthBound, Videos

In the last EarthBound Funktastic Gameplay at Starmen.Net, the term “Shark baiting” came about because of an early challenge. Basically, you try to lure an enemy as far away as you can without fighting it.

Here’s an example of luring a Shark from the Onett arcade up to the meteor on the hill.

You need a lot of patience and skill to do stuff like this. But it has me thinking – what are some other possible good baiting challenges in the game? It’d be sweet to have a list of fun baiting challenges for future stuff.

And now that you’ve seen this video, you must lure a Shark to the Onett meteor or you will die in seven days.

23 Comments to Shark Baiting in EarthBound

Mikhail said on Jan. 22, 2009

Videos of the different baiting would be interesting to watch. This was a cool video!

ZaphodBee said on Jan. 22, 2009

If you can bait an enemy like a crow up to the meteor and let it kill you after you get picky but before you get buzz buzz, a trip over to the minch’s house will freeze up your game 😀

Mato said on Jan. 22, 2009

Oh god now I’m gonna have to try to get that to happen somehow… unless someone already has a video…?

rayefrenzy said on Jan. 22, 2009

Seems like wayyy too much luck is involved! But fun!

I betcha Deep Darkness would be a good place to try a similar stunt. I mean with all the trees… but the whole moving-slow-though-deep-water might make things tricky

(also, I’m glad Ness didn’t abandon the cookie he got)

gBev said on Jan. 22, 2009

I gotta try this sometime… I don’t think I could do this on my SNES though, I’d probably go crazy trying to do it without savestates…

Spitball Sparky said on Jan. 22, 2009

Ooooh, I remember doing this years ago. When I got this game I was really bad at it because I couldn’t read. So I did this to keep myself entertained. The sharks were fun, oh and so were the Zombie Posesors. Nothing like being chased by a ghost and a puppet at the same time. I’ve always wanted to lure UFOs in the the town portion of Scaraba as well, but it’s hard to do.

Covarr said on Jan. 22, 2009

Any reason why your Ness is named Lucas?

Mikhail said on Jan. 22, 2009

It’s not his. I think somebody else did this… Yeah, when I see him didn’t abandon the cookie I smiled. I sort of want to try this Mato, I have baited things before and the crow to the meteor sounds easy… The problem is, I don’t have a video recorder on my computer…

Teal said on Jan. 22, 2009

Nooo! How dare you curse me to die if I don’t do this in seven days. Now you gave me new reason to play Earthbound again. XD

Mikhail said on Jan. 22, 2009

ZaphodBee lied, there is an invisible wall and it’s IMPOSSIBLE to bring enemy to the meteor before BuzzBuzz.

Mikhail said on Jan. 22, 2009

Okay, I retract what I said. Basically it works. It’s funny, Pokey says “Hey Ness! Like I said, my dad isn’t home yet! You’ve got to bring Picky back before he comes home! I’ll try to help you a little.”

Then it lets you in and they are both home. The same exact things happen that happen with BuzzBuzz except she doesn’t yell “Dung beetle” Ness just freezes and can’t move. Also, the game doesn’t actually freeze, the music plays and Aloysius walks around. This is pretty cool.

Mikhail said on Jan. 22, 2009

I thought he was lying because it kept on blocking a crow in an open spot but you got to trick it in… Really annoying but cool!

SoreThumb said on Jan. 22, 2009

So close… ALMOST To the meteor! Ah well <:) Wouldn’t’ve running away still kept the dude there? I suppose the point is to not touch AT ALL.. ah well ^^;

Mato said on Jan. 22, 2009

No, enemies in EB flash and then disappear if you run away from them.

I actually think this person finally, after a zillion tries, did get one to the meteor during that EBFGP, but didn’t have a video of it or something.

ZaphodBee said on Jan. 22, 2009

Even if that invisible wall were insurmountable I wouldn’t have been lying, I only said “IF you can bait an enemy…” 😉

I’m glad someone can confirm this works, as when I did it I modified the memory to give myself always on skip sandwich effect to help with the baiting. I received the same effect, ness gets stuck in the minch’s house, leaving you no option but to reset.

Darien said on Jan. 23, 2009

I wonder if it would be possible to group up all the Bionic Krakens in the Sea of Eden and drag them to the Mani Mani Statue.

P. Soup said on Jan. 24, 2009

Man I am sure this must have taken for ever to film.

Chasmang said on Jan. 27, 2009

I did this with a Zombie Possessor last summer: here

I also snapped a pic of the empty text box Paula’s mom has if you talk to her with Ness KO’d: here

Kylebot2000 said on Feb. 8, 2009

Looks like I’m not the only one who names Ness “Lucas”. XD

someguy said on Feb. 11, 2009

Hmm skip sand whiches would be useful for this. I think I pulled it off a year ago with the help of those. Hmm is there a posibility I can upload a glitch video

Shaun said on Aug. 15, 2011

This…That is retarded….:(

Ace of Technology said on Mar. 2, 2012

Sharks are very stupid!

florpy said on Nov. 24, 2012

i guess you could call him (puts on sunglasses) a master baiter