January 29th, 2009 | Itoi, MOTHER 3

A year after MOTHER 3′s release in Japan, Itoi had this to say in an issue of Nintendo Dream (vol. 159 to be exact) :

A game isn’t something that can be made by one person alone. Well, it’s possible that a really hard-working game creator could finish a game all alone, but even then he would still need a player.

Games grow and mature when they’re created, played, and conveyed over and over. In that sense, I feel the MOTHER games have been truly blessed and joyful.

You’ve all mixed a lot of your own personal time in with MOTHER 3 as well. I’m sure people will continue to play it even after this, but for now, I am thankful for the year or so of companionship that you have given it.

The truth is, in the end, the player is the one who completes a game’s creation. I’m very happy that this feeling of mine has gotten through somewhat. To everyone who is reading this, and to everyone in the (Nintendo Dream) editing department who put up with me, I thank you very much. Thank you!

14 Comments to One Year After MOTHER 3

Crono Breaker said on Jan. 29, 2009

Great words from a great man…

I always admired how Itoi really cares about the player and tries so hard to make feel the player as a part of the game, and you know what? in my opinnion he make us all fell as a part of the world of Mother/EarthBound.

Nothing more to say.

Pimpshi said on Jan. 29, 2009

I have so much respect for Shigesato Itoi. He has a brilliant mind and a unique perspective on many things in life, taking something we see everyday and seeing so much more than most do. It’s cool to see him still reaching out to his players and fans in so many ways.

Briianz said on Jan. 29, 2009

If I even meet Shigesato Itoi, I will shake hands with him and hug him.

Smash Bass said on Jan. 29, 2009

Seriously, who does not love this guy. His perspectives are always so different and fascinating, and he’s an admirable person.

johni said on Feb. 2, 2009

hey guys anyone know which episode of iron chef has itoi as a guest judge? i’m dying to see it!

thanks!!

[...] full quote can be found here [earthboundcentral.com]. Categories: [...]

Sconner said on Feb. 26, 2009

I wish he would make Mother 4…when he passes on, what will happen to Earthbound?

IronROB said on Mar. 28, 2009

This is one of the reasons I have so much respect for the wonderful human known as Ito, wish there were more game designers like him in todays gamming industry.

Sammy said on Dec. 9, 2009

You know what otoi should make mother 4 its not fair that have too bored Please otoi just make were Fans plaease i bag YOU.

JudgeDeadd said on Dec. 9, 2009

@Sammy

You “bag” Itoi? You mean kidnapping him? O_o

Oh wait, I just noticed you are talking about some “otoi”, not Itoi. Phew. Feel free to kidnap this “otoi” at your leisure.

Jim said on Jan. 22, 2010

He meant beg, not bag. xD

Zoom! said on Aug. 8, 2011

@Jim It was a joke.

Ness1985 said on Jun. 26, 2012

He is one of my many fathers :3

Punky said on Aug. 29, 2012

He truly created something special with Mother. I just sure hope there is something that can be resurface an interest, whether a remake, release or something for all of Mother earth…