January 25th, 2009 | Music Talk

Today’s song is Memory of Life. This is the final song played in MOTHER 3, and possibly the final song played in the entire series.

When you got to this final screen and heard this final song, how did it make you feel? For me, it felt like a good soothing rest after all this crazy stuff that just happened. I kind of do hope there’ll be more MOTHER stuff to come someday though.

16 Comments to Music Talk: Memory of Life

Mikhail said on Jan. 25, 2009

I doubt this is the end of Mother. Series like these don’t just end. Something will happen someday, Itoi can’t just leave this alone, he knows in his heart that he loves Mother and one day will be able to either play or create another one. 🙂

I felt very calm listening to this song, I also felt somewhat saddened that this incredible experience was finally at a close… Still, I felt satisfied… I still do.

ZombiePaul said on Jan. 25, 2009

This is a calming tune, I agree. It’s not my favorite song from the game, but it’s nice and mellow. I don’t think anything tugs at the ol’ heartstrings quite as much as Smiles and Tears (well, for me, anyways).

Necrosis said on Jan. 25, 2009

When I got to this point of the game I had already cried for like 10 minutes straight.

I think my sentiments are the same as yours. I had cried and cried at the ending, and this was just… soothing.

mitch said on Jan. 25, 2009

This song made me feel very unnerved. Hard to explain, really. Kind of like running your hands under cold water after you burn them. Soothing, but in a foreboding kind of way.

Darien said on Jan. 25, 2009

I agree with Mitch. The song definitely has an interesting blend of soothing and disquieting — rather fitting, given the way the game ends.

Bluish said on Jan. 25, 2009

I hope this is the end.

Bluish said on Jan. 25, 2009

Oh, I guess I should explain why. I can just hear an orchestra picking up at the end of this song, playing the new game’s theme. That seems depressing and farcical.

AbstractedThought said on Jan. 25, 2009

Frankly, I just felt sad. To me, the song sounds lonely and detached. But I guess the saddest part was when I realized that this was the end. The very end. No more Mother.

Unless, of course, Itoi surprises us with Mother 4.

I can dream, can’t I?

DragonKazooie89 said on Jan. 25, 2009

It reminded me of the music that plays on the “The End” in Pokemon R/S/E because it is so soothing but a bit sad at the same time.

Jeeves said on Jan. 25, 2009

I agree with Abstract on the song feeling lonely and detached, but I also agree with others that it’s soothing…

So, really, I suppose I’m agreeing with Mitch the most. It’s just kind of like…music that’s played at the end of a play while everyone’s clearing out of the theatre. Exactly like that, actually.

Jeeves said on Jan. 25, 2009

Or to be more precise, music that comes AFTER the end of a play, when the lights turn back on and everything.

Spitball Sparky said on Jan. 25, 2009

I think back to all of the times EarthBound has come up in my life when I hear it. My Memories of Life.

It’s nostalgic, but ominous.

Aqy said on Jan. 26, 2009

This plays as the ‘new’ M3 logo is revealed, isn’t that right? It made me feel that what had occurred at the end of the game wasn’t so bad afterall. Kind of that wake up from a dream type thing.

cj said on Jan. 26, 2009

I feel a bit ignorant asking, but where do you get the songs from? I mean, is there anyway other way for me to get MOTHER/EarthBound songs then me hawking your website for music updates so I can save them? Does Starmen have a music library that has eluded me for ages?

As for this song…its pretty soothing to listen to. Its like its telling me to think back on all the good times.

Smash Bass said on Jan. 26, 2009

This song makes me feel happy and sad at the same time.
I almost cry just by hearing it.

Mato said on Jan. 26, 2009

cj: You can get them from starmen.net. Check each game section. Here are some easy links for you, but you should check out those sections anyway, because there’s not only all the music, but there are really cool videos, info, etc. too that many haven’t come across before.

And there are some other MP3s in other sections too, like the EB64 and Smash Bros. areas.