January 29th, 2009 | Music Talk

Today’s song is A Good Night’s Rest. Hmm, not sure what to say about this really.

One thing I was always fond of back when I played games non-stop was seeing what each RPG used as the “sleeping at the inn” song – every game has their own little melody. But EarthBound’s isn’t anything like the other standard sleep songs. But it’s cool anyway. And it’s like the YOU WON song too.

6 Comments to Music Talk: A Good Night’s Rest

Crono Breaker said on Jan. 29, 2009

Well, its almost identical to the “YOU WON!” song, but i like it, because its always a great moment.

For example:

plays after battle: Yay! I WON!

Plays in the inn: Yay! I recovered Full HP and PP!

so, yep, I love it.

Darien said on Jan. 29, 2009

I always thought it was a bit odd; the trumpet fanfare just doesn’t seem to have anything to do with sleep. Now, the music that plays once you wake up — that’s always struck me as highly fitting “just woke up” music.

Funny you should mention the bit about the RPG inn music; back in my non-stop video game youth, I used to look forward to that exact same little detail. Especially if the game were a sequel; I’d always be keen to see if it would be the same sound or a different one.

rayefrenzy said on Jan. 29, 2009

it definately screams “YOU ARE REFRESHED” not “You just slept”. I’m okay with that.

Pimpshi said on Jan. 29, 2009

I do the same thing when playing new RPGs — what’s my Inn ditty gonna be this time? I guess more people pay attention to that than I originally thought.

I never noticed the correlation between this song and the YOU WON! fanfare somehow. It’s definitely more exciting than your average sleep song. I wonder if the Mother 2 dev team went out of their way to be different for this one.

Severed Head said on Feb. 8, 2009

Since you like inn music, you may be pleased to find this:

Bhlaab said on Feb. 11, 2009