January 10th, 2009 | EarthBound, Videos

In the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, you can play a 5-minute demo of MOTHER 2 (see video below). The various classic game demos are supposed to help promote the Virtual Console I guess, but what’s weird is that it’s been almost year since the game was released in Japan and MOTHER 2 still isn’t on the Japanese Virtual Console. I wonder why that is.

And of course, there was no EarthBound demo in the North American (or anywhere else-ian) version of Brawl. It was specifically left out. What for? What madness could be behind all this craziness? Is Nintendo planning to do something with the games soon? Or is it legal stuff? Or just crazy Nintendo being crazy?

Anyway, it doesn’t seem like THAT big of a deal, I mean look how far you can get in the five-minute demo. All the demos seem way too short to even have a point, but the MOTHER 2 demo is just evil. But it would’ve been nice to have at least, especially as a way for new players to discover the game.

POLL: Why do you think MOTHER 2 still isn't on the Japanese Virtual Console after all this time?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

35 Comments to MOTHER 2 Demo + Virtual Console

Satsy said on Jan. 10, 2009

Oh man, you get, like 1 battle if you’re lucky and racing through! Mean! Wouldn’t have considered it worth it, myself.

But then, that’s why I’ve got other versions of the game. 😉

Mato said on Jan. 11, 2009

I’m trying to think of what a better time limit would be, if there had to be a time limit. For some reason, 20 minutes sounds good, but I don’t know for sure how far you can get in 20 min. Especially if it’s your first time playing. But it sounds right anyway.

Satsy said on Jan. 11, 2009

10 would probably get you to Buzz Buzz’s speech, 20 might be able to get you to see Onett if you’re a speedy operator. But 5 was definitely not enough.

gBev said on Jan. 12, 2009

5 minutes seems like smart advertising though, it would make people want to see that other stuff and want to go get the game. It’s just long enough to get you interested.

The Japanese could go get Mother 1+2 at a game store. Other countries had no way to buy the game (other than ebay), so the preview was removed.

Millhouse said on Jan. 12, 2009

Okay, but what’s the point of removing it? it’d make sense to leave it in, for the people who want to know where Ness comes form (that’s how I discovered the wonders of EarthBound), and I’m sure it was a bit of a pain to remove it. The effort that had to be made is bigger than the value of the result, so why do it?

But anyways, if you manage to hack your wii using the twilight hack, you can put Earthbound on it nevertheless, the wii can play the files, even if the game hasn’t been released for VC. google it or look for it on youtube…

gBev said on Jan. 12, 2009

Well, why would a company like Nintendo want to deal with more complaints to release a game they can’t release for legal reasons? From a business perspective, that’s more than enough of a reason not to keep it in.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Jan. 12, 2009

It’s odd that people complain about the lack of Earthbound on the VC when Japan doesn’t even have Mother 2…

mrsaturn95 said on Jan. 12, 2009

Yeah without Mother 2 in japanese VC, EarthBound probably won’t come.

me said on Jan. 13, 2009

i found out about earthbound through ness to.

nintendo_1111 said on Jan. 16, 2009

Why did they leave it out, is what puzzles me?

wcrntn said on Jan. 17, 2009

There was also a Fire Emblem demo removed, and it was a lengthy one, too.

I think they removed it because that particular FE never came out here in America, but still, that is Marth’s whole bag – the “Japanese-only Dude”. It would’ve been nice to experience it.

Master of Ramen said on Jan. 31, 2009

I think it’s pretty safe to guess that the entire ROM memory is stored on the Brawl disc. If someone was to put in a cheat through the SD memory card that removes the time limit, I’m pretty sure you could be able to play the game in its entirety.

Unfortunately, the game’s RAM memory is cleared and reset to its defaults whenever the player stops playing, so you would have to play the entire game in one sitting, unless hackers somehow get around that…

Lewis said on Feb. 18, 2009

My bet is EarthBound comes out in Japan in August…15 year anniversary. Just a hunch. America will follow suit soon after.

DarkLink9393 said on Feb. 21, 2009

There was no point in leaving this demo out. 5 minutes isn’t enough to find anything illegally used in the game. If anyone can give me one thing reason Nintendo could get sued for this demo, I won’t complain.

Mato said on Feb. 21, 2009

It doesn’t matter if the 5 minutes allows you to find infringing material or not – the data is still there. And people have already hacked Brawl to allow for no time limits anyway, so it WOULD be possible to access the infringing material. As the whole Hot Coffee mod debacle showed us, even if something in a game isn’t accessible normally, having it in there anyway can still get companies into trouble and cause problems.

MegazeroX said on May. 14, 2009

Couln’t nintendo of America just put material onto it just to get to onett so even if you hacked it there would be no legal issues?

WHAT!? said on Aug. 10, 2009

Nintendo should release at least 1 Mother/Eathbound game to America IF it’s okay. Anyways, what’s with the legal stuff?

TypeZer0h said on Nov. 8, 2009

4:04-4:06

Waht.

Steve! said on Dec. 20, 2009

They could’ve still only given you five minutes but started you at a better place in the game like in the Ocarina of Time demo.

Ricardo said on Jan. 20, 2010

The year is 199x
Onett, a small town in Eagleland
Ness House
*Meteorite crashes”
Player: Oh, it began!
Wii: “Your 5 minutes demo has just finished”
Player: Oh, crap

earthboundchronotrigger freak said on Jan. 25, 2010

Crazy nintendos gonna blow up the planet up with lavos and giygas

PKFighter said on Feb. 18, 2010

Wonder why they didn’t have it end right after Buzz Buzz Dies and you leave Porkys house, You’ll be able to hear the beginning music.

Pkhypernova said on Mar. 13, 2010

Nintendo is a lying piece of crap. They NEVER listen to any one who likes any mother series related things. If it was up to me I would let my fans have what they want.
~HyperNova

Gabriel said on Mar. 28, 2010

^You’d probably get sued and lose a huge amount of money for doing that, and I’m sure that’s the reason Nintendo of America isn’t doing anything. I imagine Nintendo could make a lot of money putting the ROM on Virtual Console, if it were not for the copyright-infringing material in the game. Sometimes the world really sucks.

I was thinking, they should’ve started the game at Onett, with Ness at level 6. Five minutes probably would’ve been enough to time to wonder around, talk to people, wail on a few Sharks, and maybe even target their leader. Of course, there would be that “Yesterday” thing.

qilieun said on Apr. 18, 2010

what is it with earthbound/mother games!?! i mean the USA has only gotten earthbound/mother 2! japan has gotten the entire series and why is that? because a battle sprite of a crow is holding a cigarette in mother 1? thats outrageous! and i guess mother 3 was to violent? to much animal abusement? i mean Chimeras MIGHT be too depressing or scary for kids

blahblah said on May. 2, 2010

if mother 2/earthbound doesn’t get released in japan then it definitly won’t be released in america

TheMr.SaturnGuy said on Sep. 12, 2010

Since Earthbound wasnt selling good in America, they thought we wouldnt want it .( Crazy Old Nintendo )

Marth said on Sep. 28, 2010

They released fire emblems 1-5 series on the japanese virtual console so I don’t know why they won’t release Earthbound already.

Ness said on Jun. 25, 2011

it was because of legal stuff.

Lucas said on Aug. 27, 2011

I want EARTHBOUND!!!

Matteomax said on Sep. 8, 2011

Curse you, Nintendo!!! You put Earthbound on the Japanese version of Smash Bros. Brawl, yet it STILL isnt on the Virtual Console???

Waterwing said on Nov. 15, 2011

Maybe Nintendo might release it on the Virtual Console when the series reaches its 25th annaversery? It might happen who knows. I know they won’t put Earthbound on there because of the legal stuff. Or they might remake it for the 3DS.

Clockwork64 said on May. 5, 2012

WHATS WITH JAPAN WITH ALL THE AWESOME GAMES AND WE HAVE PUNY ONESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! X(

M1Fan said on Sep. 28, 2012

Nintendo is KUH-RAZY!!

joe said on Nov. 8, 2012

my guess is the wii U. its a bit like how earthbound zero got scrapped, exept there is a chance it will be released on the new console. speaking of which, why havnt you guys talked about wii U yet? it will be awesome!