January 12th, 2009 | Events, Itoi, MOTHER 1+2, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

About a year and a half ago, we Starmen.Net staffers came across a little documentary thing about the MOTHER 1+2 event held at a Tsutaya in Japan. I’ll write an article about the event at a later time (there’s a ton to cover!) but for now you can check this out. I translated it and put it on YouTube, but it’s often overlooked because it’s not clearly labeled 😛

It looks like it was a ton of fun. Reid and I had planned to hop on a plane and fly over there to attend it, but it’s a good thing we didn’t, because apparently they had to turn most of the talk show attendees away because it was so overcrowded. People attending before the show had to be rushed through because there were so many. People even slept in front of the store the night before so they could have a spot in line. Crazy stuff 😯

If you know Japanese and have some free time, I managed to snag full video of the talk show. See here: Part 1, Part 2. I have tentative plans to subtitle them at some point, so that’s something to possibly look forward to sometime 😀

POLL: Would you have gone to the MOTHER 1+2 event, if you had had the chance?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

20 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Event Documentary

Phones said on Jan. 12, 2009

Aw man, that’s so awesome! I wish I could meet him.

Poe said on Jan. 12, 2009

I can relate to the person who said they put the tape recorder up to the TV to record the intro music. 🙂

gBev said on Jan. 12, 2009

I had to say no, because I didn’t know about EarthBound back then.

If they had one today I would’ve gone in a heartbeat, though.

TheJorsh said on Jan. 12, 2009

That was really cool.
I also put a tape recorder up to the TV a few times. :p

and where did that piano music in the begining come from?

vivi3000 said on Jan. 12, 2009

Funny, I was actually just thinking the other day how neat it would be to meet Itoi and just chat with the guy. I think he’s the kind of guy who would always have something interesting to say. Love the use of the EB music in the video.

Mato said on Jan. 12, 2009

I once recorded the entire StarTropics soundtrack on tape. I think I still have it. Everyone thought I was crazy. I probably would’ve recorded EB0’s soundtrack too, had it been released back then. But it was never meant to be 😛

Luna said on Jan. 12, 2009

The terrible thing is, I think I was in Japan during the time when a couple MOTHER events went on, but all I dragged kyo to was a .hack event. 🙁

On the plus side, I met the creator of .hack, but I feel like I shoulda looked up more now! D:

kevinchai said on Jan. 12, 2009

I just love seeing Itoi and hearing what he says in interviews or whatever. He’s such a great person.

Ants said on Jan. 12, 2009

Everytime I watch this video I get all warm and gooy feeling watching this video 😮

Mato said on Jan. 12, 2009

The first time I saw the video I was blown away. There are no other EB/Mother-related videos like this at alllll. I wish there were lots more though. Perhaps we should make our own someday!

Sharpie said on Jan. 12, 2009

These videos are the best videos I have ever seen.

Thanks Mato!

Master Chicken said on Jan. 12, 2009

He really seems like a great guy to get along with. He doesn’t seem to take himself too seriously either.

otherhand said on Jan. 13, 2009

I saw this a while back and thought it was awesome. It really gives you a little better sense of how Itoi sees things.

Mikhail said on Jan. 13, 2009

Great video! Yeah, this would have been a lot of fun to attend. I wish there were more events like this for fans to get together and talk with the creator. Itoi seems like a really great guy and it looked like he enjoyed himself.

Ness said on Mar. 30, 2009

HI.

MegazeroX said on May. 7, 2009

I don’t know Japenese and long trips make me sick so no. If it was in New Hamshire I would of.

Mr. Crosser said on Oct. 4, 2009

If they ever planned to launch MOTHER 1+2+3 for ds in japan, I would learn as much japanese as I could, just to be there, and meet shigesato itoi.

Ninji said on Dec. 30, 2009

Man, I wish I was there, I miss the past *sigh*

Hiro-chimera said on Jan. 15, 2010

Too bad we got none of these in North America… 🙁

Matteomax said on Jun. 5, 2011

Does anyone notice the mother 1 enemy figures, mother 2 stickers, and Mr.Saturn statues scattered around the video?