January 7th, 2009 | Itoi, MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge

It’s no secret that Itoi checks out MOTHER fan sites once in a while, after all, there was this. But that was like 10 years ago. But actually, it sounds like he still does keep up with fan sites to this day.

For two weeks in November 2006, a MOTHER 3 “stamp rally” took place in Japan, at eight different Tsutaya shops. I’ll go into more detail about this another day, but you can see some stuff about it here for now. Basically, stamp rallies are a common thing in Japan, you go around to different locations and you get a different ink stamp at each place. This one was MOTHER 3-themed mostly.

Anyway, there was one special stamp (a stamp of of his dog) you could only get by seeing Itoi himself during a one-day event. At the event, he and Taeko Oonuki, the lady who did the singing for MOTHER 3+, talked about music and the album and stuff. Afterward, people who attended would get to shake Itoi’s hand and he’d also give them the special stamp.

Of course, Captain Apollo of MOTHER Party, kind of the Japanese equivalent of Starmen.Net, was there. Not only did he get to shake Itoi’s hand, but after he introduced himself to Itoi, Itoi responded with, “Wow, you’re Capt. Apollo from MOTHER Party?!” When Captain Apollo added something like, “It’d be great if we could work together on something sometime.” Itoi was very delighted.

So that’s pretty kickass. There’s no way Itoi can’t not know about Starmen.Net, but even now I still wonder how much time he spent with all the stuff he received from us during PK Siege Japan.

This leaves me with an interesting daydreamy question… If I ever met him and could ask him one thing, what would it be? I’m not really sure. I wonder what the most common question would be from other fans.

19 Comments to Itoi Watches MOTHER Fan Sites

Poe said on Jan. 11, 2009

Oh man, I’m sooo jealous of Captain Apollo right now! But it’s cool that he had that awesome experience, so I’m happy for him.

Smash Bass said on Jan. 11, 2009

What would I ask him? I wouldn’t like to ask anything, really. At least not Mother-related things. Maybe common questions would be something like: “Will there be a Mother 4?” “Is Mother X being released outside of Japan?” As much as I would like to have the answer of these questions, I think that would be bothersome. I’d just like to talk to him about his opinion about general things. Nothing is better than a simple conversation with your greatest idol!

Satsy said on Jan. 11, 2009

That’s pretty awesome. 😀 That must have been humbling on both ends.

Admittedly if I ever met Itoi, I’d most likely make a complete fool of myself. Can’t deny it, I’m not good at meeting new people. 😉 Although I’d probably wind up asking about maybe working on EB0, and if it was returning, what he’d want to add that he couldn’t before. That would be quite humbling for me. 🙂

Leirin said on Jan. 12, 2009

Man, Captain Apollo is REALLY lucky. I wish I could be recognized for something like that. 🙂 Hmm, I’ve no idea what to say to him. I really just think it would be overwhelming…

I guess would tell him about all the great times I’ve had with the Mother series, and thank him for making it. Or something like that. I dunno, I don’t want to seem like a kiss-up (which I am not!).

Clockerstance said on Jan. 13, 2009

Holy Guacamole, The Save-Frog-Car Sticker Rawks.
I would probably ask him for that.

shadowdeku said on Jan. 13, 2009

Wow! A double negative! He can’t not know about Starmen.Net. Does that mean he does know, yet doesn’t know about Starmen.Net

All Weird Al-style negative jokes aside, Itoi would be either ignorant or a fool to not know anything about fan sites for his games. I’m sure even Miyamoto looks around on Mario and Zelda fansites. (OK, maybe not)

LeonAlaste said on Jan. 14, 2009

Wow. I’d call the [i]the[/i]greatest honour. Ever.

Capt. Apollo, you are one lucky person.

Pimpshi said on Jan. 15, 2009

If I met Itoi, I’d be in awe. I’d probably ask him what his advice would be for someone intent on becoming a game designer. I’m sure I’d be able to think of a better question for him if I had the time (man, wouldn’t the dream be to sit down and just chat with the guy?), but I doubt he’d be willing to stick around with a random fan.

PK Soap said on Feb. 10, 2009

I think I would just want to talk with him. Such a creative mind would be great to just dig inside of with conversation. I’d love to talk with him about stuff that isn’t MOTHER related…

And then ask if I could please play EarthBound 64. ^^;;

Sconner said on Feb. 22, 2009

Cool

Near said on Feb. 25, 2009

I’d most likely tell him how his fans want Mother 4 to happen…

Otherwise, I guess I’d question him about some Mother 3 plot stuff, maybe show him the Earthbound fetus theory and jazz, who knows…

Crashpro3 said on Apr. 14, 2009

There’s no way Itoi can’t not know about Starmen.Net

That’s a double negative right there. He apparently does NOT know about Starmen.net.

Mato said on Apr. 14, 2009

go back to english class, you english

Sconner said on Apr. 14, 2009

Tomato, what’s your REAL name? I could never find that out @ starmen.net

ScottKO said on Apr. 21, 2009

I don’t think I would ask him anything…I would say I’m a fan of his games and that I consider him somewhat of a role model

Amanda said on Jun. 18, 2009

He can’t not know about Starman.net (Which means he does know).

Mr. Crosser said on Oct. 30, 2009

I’d ask him where he got the inspiration and his ideas for his series. And I would heavily be thanking for him for making such a wonderful game series

neonix said on Jan. 18, 2010

“There’s no way Itoi can’t not know about Starmen.Net”

Actually, that’s a triple negative. A double negative would have been what Mato wanted here. 😛

Ricardo said on Jun. 13, 2010

So, MOTHER Party is Starmen.net japanese counterpart, isn’t it?
Then, Captain Apollo is Mato’s japanese counterpart!