Smiles & Tears, With Lyrics
Just a few days ago we looked at Nintendo’s EarthBound advertising campaign, but EarthBound was of course talked about in non-Nintendo-run magazines too. Here’s EGM’s review of EarthBound, as one example.
For some reason, it reads like something a sixth grader might write for a class assignment. I’m not sure how well this did in helping sell the game, but it probably wasn’t a whole lot. An example:
The story line is definitely what makes this one a winner. The game wouldn’t be nearly as good without it.
The really interesting thing though is that appears this writer was playing an unfinished copy of the game. You can tell this because of Threed is called “Threek” in one of the map pics, and because the Runaway Five stage still says “TONZURA” on it. (refer to M2EB for explanations) Man, I would give a lot to have one of these pre-release copies. The EarthBound Player’s Guide is full of the same kind of stuff, so there were probably at least a few copies floating around back in 1995.
Also, the scan above isn’t the highest quality – if anybody can get a better scan, that would be awesome Anybody happen to have really old EGMs with EB stuff in it?
Other Related Posts:
40 Comments to EGM’s EarthBound Review
Leave a reply
- Real Madrid Jersey: I enjoyed your blog. It’s easy to read, the ctonent is good, and you’re an educated writer unlike most of the blogs I come...
- megamegaman247: I know this is a super old post but I put other in the poll and I want to explain gosh darn it! I am about 14 now and when I was a...
- GreenHippoArmada: Check this out:http://www.youtube.com/wat ch?v=JvKr2dmEP2Q
- 00an0: I dunno how to patch
- MagikoopaMaster: this was awesome!! probably the best version of onett i have heard.