MOTHER 2 by the Zippers
Just a few days ago we looked at Nintendo’s EarthBound advertising campaign, but EarthBound was of course talked about in non-Nintendo-run magazines too. Here’s EGM’s review of EarthBound, as one example.
For some reason, it reads like something a sixth grader might write for a class assignment. I’m not sure how well this did in helping sell the game, but it probably wasn’t a whole lot. An example:
The story line is definitely what makes this one a winner. The game wouldn’t be nearly as good without it.
The really interesting thing though is that appears this writer was playing an unfinished copy of the game. You can tell this because of Threed is called “Threek” in one of the map pics, and because the Runaway Five stage still says “TONZURA” on it. (refer to M2EB for explanations) Man, I would give a lot to have one of these pre-release copies. The EarthBound Player’s Guide is full of the same kind of stuff, so there were probably at least a few copies floating around back in 1995.
Also, the scan above isn’t the highest quality – if anybody can get a better scan, that would be awesome 😀 Anybody happen to have really old EGMs with EB stuff in it?
Other Related Posts:
40 Comments to EGM’s EarthBound Review
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...