January 13th, 2009 | MOTHER 1

At last we have a scan of the latest issue of Nintendo Power’s Virtual Console poll, thanks to Picky Minch on the Starmen.Net forums! This month’s poll was about what NES games people most want to see on the Virtual Console… and MOTHER/EarthBound Zero topped the list, even beating out Final Fantasy and the ever-awesome DuckTales 😯

I don’t think this or EarthBound’s constant #1 ranking will have any effect on anything, but still, it’s pretty cool to see. I’m not sure, but I don’t think there was even a Starmen.Net front page post saying, “Hey, go vote for this game!” for this. Or for most of the times EB was ranked #1.

At the very least, these polls might help get people to look into why these dang EarthBound games keep getting voted so high all the time 😀

27 Comments to EB Zero Tops Virtual Console Poll!

gBev said on Jan. 13, 2009

While EarthBound can’t be released on Virtual Console, the EarthBound Zero prototype could be. I doubt they’ll do anything, but I’ll bet they could make it into WiiWare if they wanted to. Unfortunately that will probably never happen, because it would have to be done in Japan first.

solidpit said on Jan. 13, 2009

I think Japan will get it next July because of the anniversary thing.

Picky Minch said on Jan. 13, 2009

Thank you for the acknowledgement!

Anyways, yeah, I was really happy to see this. Mother is my favorite game in the series, and there’d be nothing more satisfying than playing it in English on the Virtual Console.

Master Chicken said on Jan. 13, 2009

I would really like to see this on VC. After all, it would mark the first official American release!

Dunno if we’ll ever see either game though; I think the copyright issues that are keeping it from VC have to do with the Dali’s Clock.

And if that’s the case, what would motivate the average Joes to download EBZero? They know EarthBound as “the game that Ness is from,” I suppose. Even so, the more…”casual gamer” may not want to deal with a NES RPG. Then again, that may not be the market the Virtual Console aims for anyway.

tl;dr: YAY EARTHBOUND, HOPE YOU MAKE IT TO VC

Mato said on Jan. 13, 2009

I just realized though – if by some crazy chance EB0 does get released on the VC, I’ll probably have to cancel my translation of the M1 part of M1+2. Don’t wanna mess with official stuff, especially official sales.

I’m hoping that they do release Mother 1 on the Japanese VC in July for its 20th anniversary, because then there’s a slight chance it could finally be released here too.

darkhamsterlord said on Jan. 13, 2009

I didn’t even know this month’s poll was for the NES. Had I known, I definitely would have voted EB0 though.

Poe said on Jan. 13, 2009

I actually kinda expected MOTHER to be number 1, but woo DuckTales! 😀 That needs to be on there someday too.

Simon Roberts said on Jan. 13, 2009

Did they include a pithy blurb and staff picks?

Dave said on Jan. 13, 2009

Im pretty sure if they do Release EB for VN they can just quickly edit the Dali’s Clock and whatever else. maybe they will release something, but who knows.

Mato said on Jan. 14, 2009

SimonBob: Yeah, click the pic there.

Nin10dude said on Jan. 14, 2009

This is some crazy stuff. I had no idea this poll was even out there until now, and I consider myself a fan who should’ve caught wind. Makes me wonder how many of these voters aren’t your run-of-the-mill rabid fans.

EBP said on Jan. 14, 2009

I thought they stopped that poll thing ages ago..

Psychomax said on Jan. 14, 2009

Even if they did release it on the VC, it wouldn’t have the easy mode patch and I wouldn’t be able to play it anyways :I

Hell, I still haven’t been able to beat it with the easy patch!

Mato said on Jan. 14, 2009

Well, if you follow along with the EB0 walkthrough, it’s not that bad at all. And if we do an EB0FGP (which we probably will sometime this year), then that’ll make it more enjoyable too, even without the easy mode stuff.

Mato said on Jan. 14, 2009

EBP: They stopped doing the general polls and each month they do console-specific polls now. I assume it’s because EarthBound kept winning.

I actually should compile scans/info about all the polls where EB won, because I don’t think they’re all in one place. Does anybody have info about past polls where EB was #1?

DrGlove said on Jan. 14, 2009

Man this game is awesome. It definitely deserves that spot. Now I just need to figure out the whole Japanese thing and next time I pop it in my NES I’m set 😛

durp said on Jan. 14, 2009

Earthbound/Mother has been in the top spot for months now, and it’s still not on the VC

kevinchai said on Jan. 14, 2009

You know they’ll release it eventually. They’re just spreading the good games apart so you have extra points to spend on the boring ones.

Mikhail said on Jan. 14, 2009

What about Dali’s clock? Why would they need to patch that?

Mato said on Jan. 14, 2009

Dali’s estate is super-duper protective of his name and they often sue whenever his name is used without permission. NOA’s legal guys probably wouldn’t want to take the chance.

It’s not even called Dali’s Clock in MOTHER 2 anyway, though.

missy said on Jan. 14, 2009

this is sweet! it’s nice to see a game win over FF, lol.

Mikhail said on Jan. 14, 2009

It’s almost like Nintendo promote piracy of their own games…

JB2448 said on Jan. 14, 2009

I’m really not surprised by this. If Nintendo decides to release this in July in Japan, we may have a heightened chance to have it in North America and Europe. I really hope this will happen.

ShadowX said on Jan. 16, 2009

Not surprised to see MOTHER at the top again. I just wonder how many people vote in each month… Also, DuckTales? Nice!

KingMike said on Jan. 16, 2009

Mother 1 was released July 27, 1989. July 27 happens to be a Monday. Odds of NoA blowing it by releasing something crappy like Rocky & Bullwinkle?
Pretty good. 😛

22hunter said on Jan. 24, 2009

Nice that’s like 10% more of a chance for mother on VC

PKSTARMAN said on Aug. 10, 2009

Translate M1 plz and release Ducktales… let us roll with The moon!