January 9th, 2009 | EarthBound, Images

No, it’s not real, sadly. But it was too cool of a pic not to post 😛

ShadowX works at an acting theater-type place and he was messing around one day when he took this pic. Still, if Phoenix Wright can have a musical, why not EarthBound? I think dancing, singing, toothbrushing hippies would be awesome. And I wonder how they’d handle Giygas…

POLL: Would you go see an EarthBound musical?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

17 Comments to EarthBound the Musical!

Mushrooman said on Jan. 12, 2009

No…Just, no

Video-game musicals = WRONG!

Mato said on Jan. 12, 2009

I dunno, I think the Runaway Five parts of the game would rock in musical form 😛

Leirin said on Jan. 12, 2009

Daaaaang.

All my dreams are coming true 😛

KKMP said on Jan. 13, 2009

You know, I think MOTHER 3 and especially the original MOTHER would work quite well in musical form. This may be my inner nerd speaking, but I think arrangements for songs like Pollyanna and Eight Melodies would lend themselves to the stage in an exceptional manner.

Pimpshi said on Jan. 15, 2009

Yeah, I agree with KKMP, not to mention that the atmosphere for such a zany and different game could be well captured on-stage. Paula’s imprisoned scene, Jeff meeting Dr. Andonuts, Ness’s Nightmare…some of those scenes could work really well in that kind of an atmosphere!

ShadowX said on Jan. 16, 2009

Haha. I was the only one at work when I did this. Everyone else had called out sick. So I decided to have a little fun that day. This was around he summer time when very few people were on campus. It was only up for maybe 5 minutes because I was worried that on the off chance some administrator would walk by and ask what the musical was about. I guess I would tell him it was Smaaaaaashing.

Leirin said on Jan. 16, 2009

KKMP & Pimpshi, that’s a good bit of speculation. You’re right, lots of scenes could work out really well, or at least okay, in a theatrical format. Musical elements could be added in to describe “the raging battles we’ve faced” and other events like that. Even if it wasn’t very good, I would see it in a wink anyway 😛

Grant said on Mar. 9, 2009

lol, sounds funny. I’d have to invite my gf so she understands what this earthbound thing is, haha.

Not Giygas said on Jun. 21, 2009

I think I can do “Yes Man Junior 4” very well.

Ector said on Jul. 3, 2009

Watching the Giygas scene would be fun. :/

Lukas said on Oct. 31, 2009

Pheonix Wright got a Musical?! 0_o

Ninjarz said on Dec. 30, 2009

MUST……….SEE………… NAO!!!

platinatina said on Mar. 31, 2011

Mother 1 would be absolutely AWESOME as a musical. I’d imagine an animated one but still.

Seriously just think about it. I would see that. It would be amazing.

BigDream said on Aug. 11, 2011

RunAway 5 WOULD SHOW WHAT THEY REALLY GOT IN THIS MUSICAL!!!!!!
(If it were real of course.)

Nyx said on Feb. 3, 2012

The first game would be better as a musical. I mean, they’ve got all those songs..

Nickthoven said on Jan. 13, 2013

I’ve had this idea for a while about staging a musical version of Earthbound. In order to include all of the best scenes, characters and battles, it seems to me that it would need to be at least 6 hours long…! Besides turning it into an epic opera a la the Ring Cycle, it would need to be cut down dramatically.

I have a vision that Ness’s dad would act as Narrator, given that you talk to him regularly throughout the game, and rely on him for a couple of key game functions (saving, money, etc.). He could narrate the battles throughout the show, perhaps also providing some comedy when applicable.

The battles, I think, could provide a lot of comedy. Imagine actors portraying enemies such as Titanic Ant, or a Jabba the Hut-like Master Belch, being attacked with a baseball bat and a frying pan by our male and female leads. This just sounds hilarious to me, and is in perfect spirit of the original game.

Songs, in my mind, need not rely heavily on the original music of the game. I, as a composer, would use themes from the game in the most poignant and important places throughout the story, and rearrange some battle music for underscoring physical encounters, but compose original songs to help develop the plot and further establish the hip, wacky mood that Earthbound has in its essence. Of course, dialogue and lyrics for the show would rely on the quirky, often ridiculous conversations you end up having throughout the game.

Whew! Obviously, this would be quite an undertaking, even for a professional musician. But, in the end, I believe Earthbound has, at its core, a plot, a mood, and thematic elements that would translate beautifully to the stage. Wish me inspiration and luck as I ponder this challenge some more.

-Nick

PKanaFYRE said on Mar. 2, 2013

I so wanna be Ness’s mom… My friend and I wrote a song for her to song and she’s complaining that Ness will need all this stuff (like a fire ex-ting-wish-uuuurr) and it turned out pretty good. Might actually make it into a musical!