January 8th, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

Here’s a very little-known trick in EarthBound. It also works in MOTHER 2.

There are some enemies in the game that don’t attack in groups. But you can get them to attack in groups anyway with this little trick.

Basically, you use the bicycle to lure a single-only enemy over to another one, and just as one enemy touches you, you press the A Button to get off the bike. The other enemy will disappear and the enemy that touched you will probably start moving strangely. But when you go into battle, you’ll be fighting both enemies! When you beat them, both enemies disappear from the map.

A similar-ish trick is to go to an enemy and right as it touches you, get off your bike. If you time things right, the enemy might move back and forth on top of you in a strange way as the battle swirl happens.

7 Comments to EarthBound Double Enemy Trick

PSI Guy said on Jan. 12, 2009

I thought the battle grouping thing was meant to stop that sort of happening?

Man, the beta testers might be good at ordering pizza and then catching the bus but they missed this by a long shot. :p

Mato said on Jan. 13, 2009

Yeah, I thought the grouping thing would’ve prevented it too. But somehow it works anyway. I’d love to hear from one of the super EB hackers how this is possible. My guess is that they set things up so that you wouldn’t normally encounter two of these single enemies next to each other.

One thing I’d like to see is someone do this with Runaway Dogs in Onett.

DanteAMD said on Apr. 4, 2009

I think, that the cvode blocks the apparition of both enemies so only one can atack and dissapear the other one, but I don’t understand most of it (the code).

Artillery said on Jul. 8, 2009

I love how the Hippie is referred to as an “it”. XD

BLMNDEF said on Aug. 31, 2010

One thing I NEED to know:
Does this work on Mother 1 + 2?

Mother 7 said on Mar. 17, 2011

Who knew hippies could be so strong?

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Nov. 14, 2012

I somehow did this, right after teleporting to the Lost Underworld from the Stonehenge part of Winters. Right after the teleport sequence ended: BAM, two Chomposaurs at once. There’s no formation data for that!