Weekly Round-Up for Apr. 18, 2010
I plan to do a detailed analysis of EarthBound’s marketing and market circumstances and all that in a few months, but for now I thought I’d post a bunch of the things that were used to market the game back in 1995. A lot of people talk about these things but then have trouble finding a good place to link people. So if you see someone talking about EB’s weird marketing, send ’em here 😉
Anyway, a lot of the ads featured scratch-n-sniff stuff. In general, it sounds like people weren’t fond of them, though I thought they were pretty cool. Except maybe the gross smells. They definitely did stink up whatever magazines they were included in. I know Nintendo had some in Nintendo Power and I think EGM or some other major magazine. They also mailed some ads to NP subscribers and probably people who had sent in their warranty cards for Nintendo products.
Nintendo basically decided to go for the “gross-out” angle with EarthBound. And reverse psychology and the “boys love smelly gross stuff” idea. Above are a few scans of the ads. It’s probably not all of them, so if anyone has any others, please let me know!
And here is the promo video they played in stores like Toy R Us and K-Mart. If anyone remembers seeing this in other stores, let me know that too! People often claim this was a television commercial, but it wasn’t. It was only shown in stores. They could’ve put a little more work into it though…
Other Related Posts:
119 Comments to EarthBound’s Marketing Campaign
Featured Item on eBay:
Game Boy Micro System Mother 3 Deluxe Box Nintendo Japan NEW
- Sat: 2000$ is almost what I’d pay for that jacket, gosh. Are those EB64 screenshots in full res ? Is there more to see? Even if we’ve...
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.