December 22nd, 2008 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

As many know by now, a lot of stuff was changed during the localization from MOTHER 2 to EarthBound. One of the most famous changes is that Ness is naked when walking around inside his mind in MOTHER 2, but in EarthBound, they put pajamas on him.

You can read about this stuff and more over at MOTHER 2 to EarthBound and Back Again, which I swear I’m still working on. In fact, today is the 1 year anniversary of the new M2EB site. Right now I’m working on the item list since I already did an enemy list. But there are a ton of items so it’s tedious. I also have pics all the way up to Summers, but I accidentally lost my EB save so I have to start from a save a few hours back. Anyway, just letting people know the site is still alive-ish.

Anyway, getting back to the topic of nakedness:

POLL: Are you glad Nintendo of America gave Ness clothes in Magicant?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

64 Comments to Ness is Naked!

Exploding Brain said on Jan. 24, 2009

Ness:This is my mind right
Magicant Leader:Right
Ness:*Takes off Clothes*Freedom!!!!

can622 said on Feb. 18, 2009

I can see why NOA would take this out but some other stuff (like changing the bar’s into “cafe’s”) is overdoing it…

Aidan said on Feb. 19, 2009

Aidan is glad that Ness isnt naked in Earthbound when he is in Magicant.

lol @ first post said on Feb. 23, 2009

Bobbyjkl said on Mar. 24, 2009

Paula Magicant = Rule 34 amirite?

PriestessPaula said on Mar. 31, 2009

Hey I’m under age, and I expect paula to be about 13.

You do not need to call the police.

Phloio said on May. 27, 2009

Oh noes Nesu is nakes :O

Metakirby14 said on Jun. 16, 2009

Any one who voted choice 3 is a perv. >.<

BlueLightning said on Jun. 16, 2009

i agree with choice 2. it makes sense if you’re nude in your own mind. thats how you were born anyway, you werent born with clothes on (ness has his hat for a reason there but whatever). nobody can see you anyway, it’s like ultimate privacy.

Anonymous said on Jun. 19, 2009

Meh, I went with choice 2, but it makes sense for them to change it in Earthbound. It doesn’t bother me that they did, but I do agree and it does piss me off that they changed so many other things, like bars to cafes, and “God is watching over her” to “She seems to have a gaurdian angel”, etc.

PS: Note that nobody that chose number 3 are leaving comments…lol…Still, you pedophile ass hole.

Galvancito1 said on Jun. 27, 2009

I preffer him with his pijamas. Since it is his own mind he would be as he imagines himself, you know, as he sees himself without looking at the mirror. That’s interesting because the concept of your own self probably doesn’t even resemble yourself at all.

The fact that the original Ness only wore his hat could mean many things but it’s clear that he sees himself as “the boy with the hat” more than anything else. It’s a pitty that his hat was removed in the change, but I personaly wouldn’t have liked to play with the naked version of it. Now that I think about it, Paulas Magicant wouldn’t have to feature a naked Paula (or with her ribbon only).

Also, since the age has been mentioned. I never imagined these kids would be more than 12. (Maybe 10). The reason being that to me they symbolize inocence and purity, and those are things I would asociate to very joung kids. At 13, well, you are not that inocent. That’s actually the difference between Paula and Kumatora, or between Ninten and Teddy.

PSIchopath said on Aug. 9, 2009

Choice 2 is the way too go, but I chose 3 to be stupid.

PSIchopath said on Aug. 9, 2009

Oh, I always thought Ness, Paula, and Jeff were 12 but Poo was like 16.

EmeraldWind said on Aug. 15, 2009

@Galvancito1

But Ness really wasn’t all that pure was he…

That was the entire reason you needed to go inside Ness’s mind…

To destroy his inner darkness and unlock his true potential.

BTW: I finally beat EB guys. I finally know what I’m talking about… Although I leveled up too much and had Ness at level 99 before Magicant… I spent like 5 days trying to get the Sword of Kings before I gave up…

Gurp said on Aug. 27, 2009

Itoi did want us to use our imaginations with M2′s relatively simple graphics HINT HINT

The Great Morgil said on Sep. 23, 2009

Man, i feel a little guilty for voting for the third option, but then again, we are living in the days when Rule 34 dominates the internet.

Lance said on Oct. 30, 2009

I voted for #2, but I don’t see how wanting a Paula Magicant is necessarily grounds for perversion any more than having the original Ness Magicant is grounds for perversion. Just nudity and not even explicit nudity (you can’t see any… thing) and especially not in a sexual context. If it is sexual… well, then there’s a problem obviously…

Sophie said on Nov. 1, 2009

How does choice 3 have to do with Ness? or do people wanna see Paula wearing nothing but her ribbon? It’s exactly the same as saying that you want to see Jeff in his own world where he’s wearing nothing but his glasses.

Staarf said on Jan. 30, 2010

I s’pose I’d prefer option one, but option two makes the most sense.

But I chose option three just to be a troll.

Mr.T said on Apr. 23, 2010

2 because its his mind he can think what he wants his hat is there because it is his registerd trademark

Kyoo said on Apr. 24, 2010

Ness isn’t naked he’s wearing a hat, now in my graphic hack he’s naked, I replaced the hat with bed head. hahah took away all his decency HAHAHAH<-laughter of real evil… WTF is wrong with me?

VSVoidSpartan said on May. 7, 2010

Anyone who voted choice 3 is a friken perv!! >:( She’s too young for christ sake!!

VSVoidSpartan said on May. 7, 2010

^..but I voted 3 just to be a troll. XD Sorry Paula, hope I didn’t hurt you.
Now I would have chosen 2 because it makes sense, though they didn’t do that in Mother 1/Earthbound Zero, but I guess both Itoi and Nintendo of America had their reasons.

pikachugirl2 said on May. 16, 2010

Nakedness contains inappropriateness but still awesomeness is in Ness.

ShadowClawX16 said on May. 19, 2010

It kind of disturbs me to see one of my favorite Nintendo characters of all time naked, but considering he’s in his mind I guess it’s ok. I voted 2. I guess I number 1 would’ve been my second choice, but number 3…o_O only the pervs pick that one.

Cubivore10 said on Jul. 1, 2010

The poll results don’t surprise me, most EB fans now are rabbid fangirls who’d like to fondle Ness.

Penguiness said on Jul. 8, 2010

Notice that in the room, the ATM says “CD”, but in EarthBound, it has eyes. Weird.

Penguiness said on Jul. 13, 2010

Ness is technically not naked, he just thinks he is.

BLMNDEF said on Aug. 18, 2010

PK Flash!

SomeUser said on Sep. 12, 2010

@VSVoidSpartan (few month old post, I know)

Well, that isn’t Ninten’s mind, if I remember. I think it was Queen Mary’s mind.

thomas1up said on Sep. 14, 2010

I pickedd 3 for a laugh
Personnaly I pick 2

Anonymous said on Sep. 14, 2010

What the…!!! 343 votes on number 3? There are a lot of pervs in the EarthBound fandom…

Phi said on Sep. 14, 2010

I put number 3 as a joke.

James said on Oct. 4, 2010

I think they should have kept it how it was, more original.

Ness said on Nov. 3, 2010

It would be awesome is someone makes a fan translation for EarthBound. Then we could play it uncut in English!

Omnomnominous said on Nov. 4, 2010

@Ness:

I think there was a ROM somewhere which was basically Earthbound with most of the Japanese ‘cut’ parts inserted. I’ll try find the link for you.

Omnomnominous said on Nov. 4, 2010

@Ness:

Here you go. :) It’s the best I could find. You apply the patch to a fresh Earthbound ROM, and it puts back a lot of the stuff that was taken out during localization.
Hope this helps.

Lucas said on Nov. 7, 2010

It is so crazy how the japanese version has ness naked!

Mees290405 said on Nov. 18, 2010

Well… I don’t want see to ness Naked… Imagine if Paula was in the dream of Ness? And She look to Ness with his “Birthday suit” o_O XD

Well that change is good for Me… Ness look better in pijamas that naked XD

PK Paula said on Jan. 17, 2011

Uh, if Magicant is in your mind, your state is what you think of yourself as. Ness thought of himself as “the boy with the hat”. Gah, I read a comic somewhere, and the part where it said, “Ness saw himself being watched as a baby”, it showed (presumably) his parents saying the hat suited him. If Paula had a Magicant, she would probably think of herself as “the girl with the pink dress”. So she wouldn’t be naked. Actually, choice 3 would be sensible if pervertedness wasn’t intended, xD.

m1997 said on Apr. 22, 2011

O.o There’s more votes for “Paula Magicant” than “Not Naked Ness”… Interpret that however you wish.

Tech said on Apr. 22, 2011

I voted #1,
Personally I never view myself mentally as who I am when I’m stripped of all clothing. When I try to envision myself I rarely even see me as I am physically, I see what I am fundamentally or what makes me who I am.

Though having said that it could also say many things to have Ness naked. He could be self conscious and picturing himself naked is how he sees himself due to a heavy focus on his appearance. He’s also had his hat since he was little if I remember his flashbacks right, so it probably holds a lot of significance to him which would be why he still has it on.

As for the Paula-Magicant, as some have said before who said Paula in Magicant would be naked? If it’s self interpretation then it could very well be that she’s a circus clown for how often people flock to see her powers. We really don’t know much about what goes on within the minds of the four kids.

If I could add an option though, not necessarily for something to be added to Earthbound but maybe if a fan-version were made or something, but a Magicant choice or something to that extent. I’d like to see what the inner demons of each child looked like, but I feel adding four Magicants would be overkill and take away significance/make it cheesy. maybe an option to pick one of the chosen four or automatically pick the one who’s the lowest leveled or something and go to their mind to fight their inner demons. It’d just be interesting to see.

MissMitsuki said on Jun. 12, 2011

I told Ness pants were for squares.. xD

Zoom! said on Jul. 8, 2011

….

Shaun said on Aug. 15, 2011

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH-h!!!!

TO Bobbyjkl said on Aug. 24, 2011

nournotrite

Just because of a change in gender doesn’t suddenly make something Rule 34…

Harder to censor though…

Lisa digi! said on Oct. 8, 2011

Omg! Omg! Ness is Naked! I first heared about this when my friend told me I was weirded out. I thought I was crazy! so I looked it up on this web site. Speaking of ness… I was surprised that he wasnt my age…10

TomServo said on Nov. 23, 2011

I alerted the police about 483 people.

RadicOmega said on Nov. 23, 2011

@TomServo most of them are just fooling around. I voted for two however :D!

RadicOmega said on Nov. 23, 2011

And also, if kids were to be playing EarthBound and they didn’t chang it they’d just laugh all day with there friends. IT wouldn’t mentaly scare them!

Ness naked | Janetbosshart said on Dec. 12, 2011

[...] Ness is Naked! « EarthBound CentralDec 22, 2008 … As many know by now, a lot of stuff was changed during the localization from MOTHER 2 to EarthBound. One of the most famous changes is … [...]

Julio said on Dec. 22, 2011

Dudes and Duddettes, to chose #3 you dont have to be a pervert or a pedo, besides, that will never happen, and ness here. he might be nude, but they didnt give him.a pixel male thing. for gods sake, this is a video game, not some sort of hentai animation……stop with the drama….

RadicOmega said on Dec. 22, 2011

@Julio, Yeah, Thank You. But I still don’t understand why everone is freaking out about Paula. There are some female browsers, and if they voted two, they’d be a boy voting three. But it has nothing to do with ANYTHING!

cherryw17 said on May. 23, 2012

Wow I knew about this before I read this because of the mother 2 vs earthbound blog I read before I saw this I voted 2

cherryw17 said on May. 23, 2012

Not just that but the game uncensored would not scare any kids it would make em laugh but the parents would hate it but I know a lot of kids in my family that watch south park simpsons and famliy guy and ther parents don’t care so they would let them play this and would not care

OctoG123 said on Jun. 18, 2012

By the way, isn’t Paula 11 years old? 0_0

VSVoidSpartan said on Sep. 25, 2012

Great, 2 years I commented on this topic and I check again on the voting results… 560 People!? Really!? O_o Damn pedophiles!

Eric said on May. 3, 2013

I had no idea about this. I guess people in the west are never naked.

[...] During the Magicant sequence of Earthbound, during which our protagonist Ness is supposed to be totally nude, he got pajamas, perhaps because Nintendo believed that Westerners do not get [...]

Anonymous said on Sep. 11, 2013

they should have put a black box that says ”CONSERNED” but i dont think there would be enough room for the word

Anonymous said on Sep. 11, 2013

i went with choice #3 becuase the ”alert the police!” part

Sunnymoon said on Oct. 17, 2013

As surprising as it is, I vote yes, simply because things like that could easily alert parents that sees their kid playing the game with a NAKED CHARACTER, and they could take it bad, and then make unfair critics on it, not understanding the prupose of it. It’s better than Ness stay in his pajamas, and beside, it would be logic too, because it’s how he’s seen at the beginning of the game.

darkninten said on Feb. 5, 2014

Seeing Paula in magicant woo woo