Just a small update about the MOTHER 1+2 translation, since it’s been a few weeks since I announced I was working on the MOTHER 1 part of the game.
First, I’ve barely touched the script in the last few weeks. This is because formatting it by hand takes so much time and effort that I decided I would need a text preview tool kind of like what we used with MOTHER 3. Jeff wrote the one for M3, and it’s not something you can just simply edit to work with other games. He’s been pretty busy with stuff too, so I decided I’d look into learning C# and the .Net stuff so I could make my own preview tool. But it sounds like Jeff might be able to modify the M3 one now, now that the holidays are here. Once again, Jeff saves the day 😀
So once a previewer/editor tool is done, I’ll get back on the script. If I had nothing else to do, I could finish translating all the text in two or three days. But I’m always in a state of busy, so I’ll probably stretch it out over a few weeks to save my sanity.
Like I mentioned before, most of the hacking is already done. There are a few things I need to fix that happened due to my text box expansion, but I don’t expect it to be bad. Mostly I just need to make the game not update text beneath the main text window. This usually happens when you heal your HP outside of battle.
The main thing I’m wondering right now is how to handle the enemy names. There are some that I like better in EB0, but the EB0 names were made up out of nowhere. The easiest example I can think of is Wally. For some reason, in EB0, there seem to be hundreds of hillbillies named Wally who attack you near your house. But in MOTHER 1, he’s just called “Man” (well it’s actually more like “middle-aged man”, but that won’t fit of course). Wally sounds better, but “Man” is more correct and closer to the original intent. And it makes more sense.
What do you think? Should I go exactly how Itoi intended with MOTHER 1, so that people can play the game the same way Japanese players got to? Or should I spice up some of these boring names?
Other Related Posts:
28 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation Update 1
Featured Item on eBay:
MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10
- Mother2fan: I can’t even fathom why they would make such a minute change to that battle background.
- DJMankiewicz: Very interesting. I had suspected that Earthbound’s “dulled” battle effects were done in emulator rather than as a...
- Chivi-chivik: I think that the lightning change in the ‘PK Flash get’ animation was put so you can see better how the lightning strikes...
- joe411: Perhaps some changes were made since the Wii U’s GBA emukator adds a darker color filter?
- Mato: DIO: We checked those too, Mother 2 has so many versions that I dunno what to call the Wii U version, but it and the New 3DS ones are the...