MOTHER 1+2 Translation Update 5
Just a small update about the MOTHER 1+2 translation, since it’s been a few weeks since I announced I was working on the MOTHER 1 part of the game.
First, I’ve barely touched the script in the last few weeks. This is because formatting it by hand takes so much time and effort that I decided I would need a text preview tool kind of like what we used with MOTHER 3. Jeff wrote the one for M3, and it’s not something you can just simply edit to work with other games. He’s been pretty busy with stuff too, so I decided I’d look into learning C# and the .Net stuff so I could make my own preview tool. But it sounds like Jeff might be able to modify the M3 one now, now that the holidays are here. Once again, Jeff saves the day
So once a previewer/editor tool is done, I’ll get back on the script. If I had nothing else to do, I could finish translating all the text in two or three days. But I’m always in a state of busy, so I’ll probably stretch it out over a few weeks to save my sanity.
Like I mentioned before, most of the hacking is already done. There are a few things I need to fix that happened due to my text box expansion, but I don’t expect it to be bad. Mostly I just need to make the game not update text beneath the main text window. This usually happens when you heal your HP outside of battle.
The main thing I’m wondering right now is how to handle the enemy names. There are some that I like better in EB0, but the EB0 names were made up out of nowhere. The easiest example I can think of is Wally. For some reason, in EB0, there seem to be hundreds of hillbillies named Wally who attack you near your house. But in MOTHER 1, he’s just called “Man” (well it’s actually more like “middle-aged man”, but that won’t fit of course). Wally sounds better, but “Man” is more correct and closer to the original intent. And it makes more sense.
What do you think? Should I go exactly how Itoi intended with MOTHER 1, so that people can play the game the same way Japanese players got to? Or should I spice up some of these boring names?
Other Related Posts:
28 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation Update 1
Featured Item on eBay:
Earthbound Soap - Citrus Scented Soap shaped like a Super Nintendo Cartridge
- Mato: I remember at the time that it WAS really impressive for a Super NES game – Street Fighter II was touted for a good while as being the...
- Ailure: 24 mbit translates to about 3 megabyte for those not in the know. For some reason they were really fond of specifying cartridge sizes in...
- Ailure: I love how it mentions the game being 24 mbits like that was huge. Even at the time it was nothing with computers at the era having cd-rom...
- Wukey: Damn, how long did Earthbound take to beat? Maybe 30 hours?
- Yosh: And Nintendo doesn’t approve things such as ripping a ROM from a cartridge and modifying its content.