December 19th, 2008 | Hacking, MOTHER 1+2

Just a small update about the MOTHER 1+2 translation, since it’s been a few weeks since I announced I was working on the MOTHER 1 part of the game.

First, I’ve barely touched the script in the last few weeks. This is because formatting it by hand takes so much time and effort that I decided I would need a text preview tool kind of like what we used with MOTHER 3. Jeff wrote the one for M3, and it’s not something you can just simply edit to work with other games. He’s been pretty busy with stuff too, so I decided I’d look into learning C# and the .Net stuff so I could make my own preview tool. But it sounds like Jeff might be able to modify the M3 one now, now that the holidays are here. Once again, Jeff saves the day :D

So once a previewer/editor tool is done, I’ll get back on the script. If I had nothing else to do, I could finish translating all the text in two or three days. But I’m always in a state of busy, so I’ll probably stretch it out over a few weeks to save my sanity.

Like I mentioned before, most of the hacking is already done. There are a few things I need to fix that happened due to my text box expansion, but I don’t expect it to be bad. Mostly I just need to make the game not update text beneath the main text window. This usually happens when you heal your HP outside of battle.

The main thing I’m wondering right now is how to handle the enemy names. There are some that I like better in EB0, but the EB0 names were made up out of nowhere. The easiest example I can think of is Wally. For some reason, in EB0, there seem to be hundreds of hillbillies named Wally who attack you near your house. But in MOTHER 1, he’s just called “Man” (well it’s actually more like “middle-aged man”, but that won’t fit of course). Wally sounds better, but “Man” is more correct and closer to the original intent. And it makes more sense.

What do you think? Should I go exactly how Itoi intended with MOTHER 1, so that people can play the game the same way Japanese players got to? Or should I spice up some of these boring names?

POLL: What would you prefer be done with enemy names?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

28 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation Update 1

Mushrooman said on Jan. 12, 2009

I like wally…. but if you can think of something aside from “man” thet isn’t to repetitive, than go for it!

Zaxtur said on Jan. 12, 2009

Wally looks like a farmer. Maybe you can think of some creative name related to farming. All I can come up with is Farmer Joe.

LeonAlaste said on Jan. 13, 2009

Farmer John gogogo.

Snow said on Jan. 14, 2009

I can’t wait till you get this done. I also can’t wait till Mother 2 is tranlated. I like how the gba version looks and feels. I’m so grateful for you making such a contribution to the community and making it possible for gamers like me to truly appreciate the Mother series. Thanks much.

On the note of Wally: Even if that wasn’t the original name, I think Wally fits because the sprite reminds me somewhat of a backwoods redneck anyway. I’d say the name Wally fits.

Phil L said on Jan. 20, 2009

Wally could be “Crotchety Man” if it fits. That would make sense.

anon said on Jan. 23, 2009

“old man Wally” if it fits

BP said on Jan. 24, 2009

I absolutely LOVED the first time I encountered a Wally! It was like “Dude this wacky old farmer named Wally is, for some reason, trying to kill me. It’s even better than the names with adjectives that EarthBound went crazy with. It’s just Wally.

Shyguy27 said on Jan. 26, 2009

I’ve looked everywhere, and I can’t figure out, so I’ll just ask: How do I download the patch? -_-

Mato said on Jan. 26, 2009

There is no patch. The project isn’t done.

Shyguy27 said on Jan. 26, 2009

Bummer.

Durelle said on Jan. 31, 2009

I like new names like Wally and such, i think it adds more humor than encountering a MAN

SoupX said on Feb. 2, 2009

Call him Billy, or Farmer Bill, or something generic.

Or “Generic Farmer”. …Wait, that’s too long for a name.

Ah, well…

Eric said on Feb. 2, 2009

Hayseed.

Iz_wantz_cheeseburger said on Feb. 3, 2009

Need translation now.
It’s delicious.

Anonymous said on Feb. 11, 2009

I always thought Wally should be named the “Creepy Farmer.” Even though it’s not a translation of the Japanese name, it sounds more EarthBound-y than anything else… But outside of Wally, my opinion is that dialogue-wise, it should be as close to the Japanese as possible while making the necessary exceptions to make it sound good in English, but name-wise, it should be more EarthBound-sounding. I guess keep some EarthBound Zero names if they’re close enough, but people would be really confused if it wasn’t, say, Giygas.

Eir said on Feb. 20, 2009

I like that most people trust your judgement to put in even new names as appropriate :p

W. I . G said on Feb. 21, 2009

Farmer Bill Drew Near!

W. I . G said on Feb. 22, 2009

Lol I thought of Farmer Bill too, Soup X. It just came up to me… and then i look up the comments and see Farmer Bill XD

Document said on Mar. 4, 2009

Wally bugs me slightly just because of the implication that the same guy keeps getting up and attacking me again every single time I beat him. It’s kind of alarming how much damage he must be accumulating. That might just be me, though.

captain potato said on Mar. 13, 2009

wally = mad farmer?

EmeraldWind said on Mar. 31, 2009

I don’t know… I find it more distressing that your father pays you $35 to beat up hippies, than the fact the same farmer attacks you several times…

In fact, for some reason the image of this old farmer chasing you all over the place just seems hilarious.

Koyuki said on Apr. 8, 2009

I always thought that a Wally attacking me was the funniest thing. XD

Matt said on Apr. 25, 2009

Farmer Brown?
Or Farmer Wally even?

leeham said on May. 18, 2009

just call him “Geezer” or something

MarioFan3 said on May. 21, 2009

Wally’s name isn’t just something that you can change, it’s that memorable.

Electric Nova said on May. 27, 2009

Farmer Man! :D ….no.

Crazy Guy! …nah

Shigesato Itoi! ….Now we’re getting somewh- WHAT AM I SAYING! I DON’T WANT TO BEAT UP A GENIUS FOR MONEY AND EXPERIENCE POINTS!

pkstarstorm1up said on Jun. 19, 2009

Please keep all the names the same except let the aliens name be Giygas also please keep the super mario Bros 7 and the strip club thing in there.

Mr. Saturn said on Apr. 12, 2010