Marcus Lindblom Spills Some EarthBound Secrets
Back when EarthBound was released on the Super NES, the game came with a big ol’ strategy guide for free. Inside the guide were some smelly scratch-n-sniff cards, and with one card, you had to identify the smell and send your answer in to Nintendo. Supposedly, if you got the answer right, you would get something.
Apparently, the secret smell was “pizza”, though it always smelled like burnt rubber to me. Also, because of poor sales, I believe they gave the prize to everyone who submitted an answer, not just those who got it correct.
The prize, of course, was a Mach Pizza air freshener. Not many were made, and not many people submitted answers, so there aren’t too many of these out there nowadays. Until recently, nobody made a big deal out of them, but they’ve suddenly gone up in price like crazy on auction sites. Here’s one such example.
Just earlier this year, reid gave one of these out as a contest prize at Starmen.Net. I don’t think anyone expected these things to jump in price THIS much though. But I guess they’re pretty limited in number these days, so who knows.
Whatever the case, if you manage to get your hands on one of these, hold on to it! It’ll probably be worth a bit more over time. That’s when you sell. Kind of like with EarthBound carts. Man, has EarthBound merchandise turned into the stock market or what?
Other Related Posts:
17 Comments to Mach Pizza Air Freshener
- Queue: I have no problem with Yahtzee. It’s just one guy’s opinion and he presents it in a quick and generally funny way. I don’t...
- Opinionated Vector Chimera: Oh cool another game reviewer who will reinforce my views on EarthBound. Enjoying a game by myself is not enough. I...
- MOTHER Fanatic: Happy 25th Birthday to a game meant for a generation of gamers who appreciated having to work to be strong enough to progress in...
- Chivi-chivik: That guy is just a manchild that must grow up ASAP. (Not saying this because of the review, but because of him. I dislike him so much)
- Helio: I never understood this show. Why is bashing on a game without any particular reason is entertaining to some people?