The EarthBound Equation
Isn’t it strange and sad that EarthBound still isn’t on the Wii Virtual Console yet?
It’s been over two years since the Wii’s release, and still no EarthBound. And it’s not like it’s been forgotten, Iwata even mentioned it by name when first introducing the Virtual Console feature to the public. The game even continues to dominate Nintendo Power’s most wanted SNES game for the Wii, and Starmen.Net isn’t even out there telling people to vote month after month. The demand is there.
What’s weirder is that MOTHER 2 isn’t out on Japan’s Virtual Console even. Even after Smash Bros. X there had a built-in MOTHER 2 demo meant to hopefully advertise the game so people would buy it on the VC. But it’s still not there, almost a year after the new Smash Bros.
Not even the first game in the series is out anywhere. And it’s a simple NES/Famicom game that’s incredibly popular in Japan and somehow continues to rank very high on Nintendo Power’s most wanted charts despite never having an official release here.
Is Nintendo being crazy? Are they planning to do something with the series soon? Is Itoi planning to do something with the series soon? Do they just not care anymore?
In any case, one little nugget of info I *can* provide is about the recent ESRB rating of EarthBound for the Wii. Some little birdies somewhere say that it wasn’t supposed to happen and that it was a mistake on someone’s part. Whether or not it’s true, I don’t know, but it only adds to the drama and mystery surrounding this VC thing.
I guess in the meantime, everyone’ll just have to pirate ROMs instead of giving Nintendo a boatload of free money, which would probably go into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Other Related Posts:
57 Comments to EarthBound on Virtual Console?
Featured Item on eBay:
EARTHBOUND MOTHER 2 FIGURE STRAP *PAULA* NINTENDO FREE SHIP
- BusterTheFox: Woo, Hip Snake! …I can’t help reading H.S. as Hip Snake. It’s a TWEWY thing… anyway! This looks so cool! Even...
- Anonymous: Very excited about this. Have never been able to immerse myself in the original. This game, however, looks very promising.
- An E and two 8: Holy Hack in a Sack! This looks amazing! I checked the thread a few times times before (As a guest) and the old EB Central posts...
- Chris Brough: You know what’d be really awesome? If they actually made a reproduction cart so that you could actually play the game on the...
- game4brains: Wow, it’s been quite a while since anyone’s talked about this! I’m looking forward to its release! Also, about the...