Weekly Round-Up #26
Isn’t it strange and sad that EarthBound still isn’t on the Wii Virtual Console yet?
It’s been over two years since the Wii’s release, and still no EarthBound. And it’s not like it’s been forgotten, Iwata even mentioned it by name when first introducing the Virtual Console feature to the public. The game even continues to dominate Nintendo Power’s most wanted SNES game for the Wii, and Starmen.Net isn’t even out there telling people to vote month after month. The demand is there.
What’s weirder is that MOTHER 2 isn’t out on Japan’s Virtual Console even. Even after Smash Bros. X there had a built-in MOTHER 2 demo meant to hopefully advertise the game so people would buy it on the VC. But it’s still not there, almost a year after the new Smash Bros.
Not even the first game in the series is out anywhere. And it’s a simple NES/Famicom game that’s incredibly popular in Japan and somehow continues to rank very high on Nintendo Power’s most wanted charts despite never having an official release here.
Is Nintendo being crazy? Are they planning to do something with the series soon? Is Itoi planning to do something with the series soon? Do they just not care anymore?
In any case, one little nugget of info I *can* provide is about the recent ESRB rating of EarthBound for the Wii. Some little birdies somewhere say that it wasn’t supposed to happen and that it was a mistake on someone’s part. Whether or not it’s true, I don’t know, but it only adds to the drama and mystery surrounding this VC thing.
I guess in the meantime, everyone’ll just have to pirate ROMs instead of giving Nintendo a boatload of free money, which would probably go into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Other Related Posts:
57 Comments to EarthBound on Virtual Console?
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...