Itoi & Miyamoto MOTHER 3 Interview from 1999
A couple weeks ago I still had the itch to do some light GBA ROM hacking, so I gave the MOTHER 1 part of MOTHER 1+2 a look. It’s been a breeze to hack, and I got most of the hacking done in a few days. I plan to do a retranslation of the game from scratch, plus a few other improvements, some of which are already seen in these screens and video.
Some of the things you can expect from this retranslation:
- A retranslated script. The EB0 ROM has a good number of changes and mistakes/issues with plot details. The EB0 script is also very dry, because of limited resources. This retranslation can allow for a lot more text, and censoring/changes won’t need to be done.
- Expanded text boxes, allowing for more dialog text at one time, meaning the text will be nicer and easier to read.
- Expanded battle text boxes, allowing for more text than before. I still need to actually edit the text to use the new space though.
- I added an “Easy Ring” to Ninten’s basement, for those who don’t like to grind for experience and money. The item, when equipped, doubles the exp and money you get from enemies. It makes the game much less of a chore.
- Things like the status screen are a little fancier and more verbose.
- You can use the L Button in this game much like you can in EarthBound. It makes talking to things/checking things a little quicker.
- I plan to make a few changes with the font and the window borders to be more like EarthBound.
- Many of the little EarthBound / MOTHER 3 connections will be left intact in this translation, so fans of the series will surely enjoy that. The EB0 translation changed a lot of things, which broke some of these connections.
- Translations into other languages will be incredibly easy to do.
If anyone has other recommendations that aren’t too crazy (I can’t make enemies appear on the overworld, I can’t make rolling HP), let me know and I’ll think about it.
Like I mentioned before, most of the hacking work is already done. It’s a zillion times nicer to hack than MOTHER 3 was. The majority of what’s left to do is just simply translating all the text, and I could probably do that in a matter of days or weeks if I had nothing else to do. But I’m gonna take my time with this, so probably sometime early next year if all goes well. Next year is MOTHER’s 20th anniversary, too.
Other Related Posts:
98 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues