Jazzy EarthBound Remix
I just realized that it’s almost been a decade since I wrote my old EarthBoundX game. In late 1998, I had just gotten a book about DirectX game programming and wanted to make something simple to learn the ropes. Eventually I decided to do an Arkanoid/Breakout-style game, but I wanted it to be something more exciting. So eventually I decided to give it an EarthBound theme.
Before long, I had the game working well, and had even written a simple scripting language to make enemies act certain ways. But the most time-consuming thing was making the background graphics, since back in those days, you had to take screenshots in an emulator, then sort of tape them together in a paint program. So I decided I’d ask two big EB fans I often heard about – reid and EBounding – for help.
This is what lead everything to happen, and soon after reid and I went on to get EarthBound.Net really started. And that’s how Starmen.Net came to be: this crappy game I made in 1998.
If you haven’t played it, give it a try. You can also download custom levels and make your own if you’re crazy enough. Though it’s just a crappy, simple game, I’m strangely still amazed at how much better it turned out than most of my previous games did in terms of complexity and graphics.
Other Related Posts:
4 Comments to EarthBoundX
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...
- Nessential: The stock is still pending listing, but you can find it on Bloomberg here: https://www.bloomberg.com/quot e/3560:JP I might buy some of...