September 1st, 2008 | MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

This aired a few months back, and I totally forgot about it until now. There was a MOTHER reference in a Shin-chan episode a while back, which was really cool. Coincidentally, I also used to be the translator for Shin-chan, though I don’t think I did the raw translation for this particular ep. Or maybe I did, it’s been such a long time. Anyway, one of the punch-up writers showed up to post about the reference on the Starmen.Net boards here, which was pretty cool.

I haven’t watched SC in so long, I wonder what episodes they’ve been doing. I think my favorite was when the bunny gets revenge.

POLL: Do you cry out for MOTHER / EarthBound games at night too?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

14 Comments to MOTHER / EarthBound in Shin-chan!

Roy said on Jan. 22, 2009

Wow, i must check it in the japanese version!, which episode was it?

Mato said on Jan. 22, 2009

I translated that episode or at least did some pre-translation work on it and I can tell you for sure that it wasn’t in the original script. The English dub writers make up lots of stuff, which is kind of why it’s as popular as it is. Also, the writer for this episode posted on the Starmen.Net message board, so you should see what he had to say. Check one of the links in the post.

JB2448 said on Feb. 15, 2009

Wow. A direct message for support of MOTHER. This just made a great start for the new week!

Creepy... said on Feb. 19, 2009

The woman’s face is wierd!

And why news at 9:54?

Listen closely at the end! said on Feb. 19, 2009

In the japanese words, i can almost hear the number 3…

Steak said on Nov. 30, 2009

Wow you translated Shin-Chan? That show is super rad, I’d watch it all the time on Adult Swim.

There was this one part in one episode where they had to do puzzles and there was a lot of translating of text going on, and one part there was a ton of steam in the way of some tiles or something.
Anyway, the translator just wrote something like ‘I’m not going to reprint all those characters, they mean something like *this*.’ Made me laugh.
That’s also awesome that the dub writers make up lots of stuff, I honestly can’t get into straight Japanese humor but Shin-Chan is hilarious.

2Sang said on Dec. 5, 2009

I saw this and thought…it couldn’t be, but it was

piggyjelly said on Dec. 21, 2009

Damn copyrights, I wanted to see that video.

kman said on Mar. 21, 2010

to be honest, this show sucked, im glad it was canclled, but yeah, i do remember this.

Joshua Johnson said on Apr. 19, 2010

show sucked, but the kid had good taste in games :p

sigh said on Apr. 19, 2010

@kman, Josh Johnson:

Shin-chan doesn’t suck. Both of you do.

Gon said on Apr. 19, 2010

I love shin-chan, it’s funny as hell.

Anonymous said on Jul. 27, 2010

video’s gone

Chivi-chivik said on Mar. 10, 2013

I’ve been watching Shin Chan for years without knowing this?! Shame on me.