June 21st, 2008 | EarthBound, Interviews, Itoi

The topic’s come up a few times recently, so I figure I’ll translate this one snippet of an Itoi interview, which can be seen here. Note that this is also the same interview where he talks about the inspiration for Giygas.

In any case, here’s the tiny excerpt. I’ll translate the entireeeeeee thing someday. A few parts are already available on my blog, though.

Itoi: Well, for example, there’s a gay person in MOTHER 2. A really passionate friend who lives in an England-like place. I designed him to be a gay child. In a normal, real-life society, there are gay children, and I have many gay friends as well. So I thought it would be nice to add one in the game, too.

Also, the Mr. Saturns are symbols of innocence. In any normal society, there are those who don’t really fit in well with ordinary people, but actually have skills that surpass those of ordinary people. I personally love that sort of “power of innocence” in things. It’s a part of “Passionate Penguin Rice”, even. (note: that’s a book Itoi wrote around 1990) Oh, and things like Forrest Gump have it, too. I wanted people to love innocent characters like that too, which is why I added them into the game. They weren’t called Mr. Saturn at first, but they gained that name during development.

So there you go. Someday I’ll have the whole huge thing translated, but at least for now there’ll be this page to refer to whenever these questions come up!

67 Comments to Yes, Tony is Gay. And Mr. Saturn is Innocent

Axel said on Feb. 11, 2009

LOL, my gaydar was right!

I think Porky/Pokey might not be as straight as he seems. Remember the oxygen machine/big-lipped centaur-man in his bedroom besides all the beautiful women? And how he keeps Ness’ old yo-yo like a precious item, when he was supposed to detest him…

Aidan said on Feb. 17, 2009

Were did Itoi get the idea of creating Ness as a boy wearing a red baseball cap?

Aidan said on Feb. 17, 2009

That’s what Aidan wants to know.

Aidan said on Feb. 17, 2009

Tony needs to have some intrest in girls somehow!

JoeWuzHere said on Mar. 2, 2009

not when he’s stuck at a boarding school full of guys…

Stuffgamer1 said on Mar. 10, 2009

And that’s one MORE Fobbies Are Borange reference explained…(meaning I never thought he was gay until hearing it on FaB, and this is the first time I’ve personally read confirmation of that point.)

Claus said on Mar. 15, 2009

He must’ve been so excited on his first day, and I mean EXCITED.

anonymous said on Mar. 16, 2009

He doesn’t need an interest in girls, and just because he’s gay doesn’t make him boy crazy.

Way to completely miss the point of Itoi’s inclusion of a gay character with nondescript sexual tendencies, guys.

wants_latios_lots said on Mar. 17, 2009

Tony doesn’t need an interest in girls, just like straight guys don’t need an interest in other guys. See how that works?

I think it’s pretty cool that Itoi added some gay characters into the game. Now if only we could get some handicapped people in on this…

MOTHER 4: WHEELCHAIRBOUND

Brihutch2021 said on Mar. 19, 2009

I thought it was extremely obvious that Tony was gay,just by the way he talks to Jeff, and when you guys go to school, do you fap to EVERY girl you see? no, so why would Tony.

Anon said on Apr. 16, 2009

What about Maxwell?
I’m pretty sure he was gay too.
I mean, when you save the game when you’re Jeff, he says “Go for it, bad boy!”

My gaydar has a blinking pink dot on it whenever Maxwell is around.

Hippoguy47 said on May. 17, 2009

I wonder what Tony would be like in real life? Jeff was always my favorite character and he has similar hair to me and one of my friends is really obsessive and touches my shoulders a lot and I think he might be gay so I can realate to jeff.

Melody, daughter of Ninten said on Jun. 17, 2009

2 aidan: well, in an unwritten fanfic of mine (Which is mother 4) Tony is best friends with the ness/ninten/lucas replacment, who is a girl. her name is Haley, and their is no love intrest between them. this story is acully suposed to be a “comedy for the heck of it” fic but heres a quote from it: “our only hope is…… a girl with a temper, the brother of a villian, a gay guy and a robot dog?! we’re done for…..”

2 want latios lots: there is a handicapped main character: Duster.

ShadyHibiscus said on Jul. 6, 2009

my gaydar must be broken because I didn’t see that coming really…

I guess all of that JeffxTony yaoi isn’t too out there…

Axl said on Jul. 12, 2009

I think it’s awesome that Itoi outed Tony, that way people can see that we’re not all pink rainbow stereotypes on parade who like to molest every man we see, we’re regular people with feelings and emotions.

Some Guy said on Jul. 13, 2009

How do we know he’s talking about Tony?

@ Some Guy said on Nov. 14, 2009

@Some Guy– “A really passionate friend who lives in an England-like place.”

phillipblabla said on Nov. 20, 2009

I knew it!

Barrny said on Nov. 26, 2009

i love you boys

Billy Shears said on Nov. 26, 2009

its barrny

Billy Shears said on Nov. 26, 2009

billy shears uses PK love

Lillian said on Nov. 30, 2009

Tony must feel like a guy going to an all-girls boarding school. Don’t deny it. There’s gotta be some desire there.

JudgeDeadd said on Dec. 1, 2009

The newest GTA4 expansion pack is called “The Ballad of Gay Tony”. Coincidence? I disbelieve so.

edgar said on Jan. 6, 2010

there are a lot of gay characters in the mother games, also some dialogues ans scenes…..itoi must be gay. that would awesome

.GamerBluePK said on Jan. 24, 2010

And henceforth, millions of Yaoi fangirls squealed their little heads off.

ghostgirl21696 said on Feb. 10, 2010

I know this is disturbing, but before I actually looked at some more stuff up, I originally thought tony was A GIRL. ( It was the first comic I read with Tony in it to blame, because he acted so girlyin it)

ghostgirl21696 said on Feb. 10, 2010

sorry, it’s “girly in it”

mynameisasecret said on Apr. 7, 2010

actually, the yoyo is in one of fassad’s rooms and dont scroll down if you dont lke spoilers.

fassad is a magypsy so he is neither man nor woman. (as it says in the game)

Mr. Saturn said on Apr. 7, 2010

I think Maxwell is gay as well. When you call him to save your game, he says this:
“Go for it, bad boy!”
I know that’s not a gay line, but it sounds gay.

Gabo said on Apr. 8, 2010

HAHAHAHA I KNEW IT!!!!
TONY IS GAY BECAUSE HIS NAME [no offense people whose name if tony and is not gay] AND HIS MOUTH [yet again, no offense to gay people, i'm not gay, but after what that Ricky Martin guy said, i felt glad that he said it, but seriously, i'm not gay!] you see, my brother’s friend’s Brother is gay, and an ex-friend of my other brother [who wanted to be a preist when he grew up, but didn't] became gay after being roomates with another man.
AND DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE mR. SatUrN B@InG

Happy girl said on Apr. 24, 2010

Hooray! I’m glad to see Mr. Itoi’s choice for diversity! I think it’s wonderfull that more minorities are being represented in today’s media such as this (even if this game is from 1995).

AtomstCatalyst said on May. 20, 2010

Now I wonder if Jeff’s school is like the one from Strawberry Panic! If so, I’m glad Ness busted him out of there!

AtomstCatalyst said on Jun. 17, 2010

Check EB_Jeff’s newest Tweet. 0_0

James said on Jul. 14, 2010

I knew Tony was gay, you could just tell by the way his mouth is.

PiggyGuys said on Aug. 13, 2010

lol, poor Jeff, XD!

MultiMiggs said on Nov. 1, 2010

^^LOLOL, thats ultimate proof. It sure seemed that way so I guess it’s nice to hear… Also cool about doseisan and talking about Forrest Gump!

PSI-Paula said on Dec. 12, 2010

That’s why people on youtube said Jeff was teased with names like, “Gay Activist”?

S0ulman2 said on Dec. 12, 2010

Come to think of it, I’m a living Tony…… BTW HI Psi Paula

anon said on Jan. 6, 2011

I knew tony was gay, hell im gay, big deal,
Sexual ornintation is nothing major, it does not kill any one. but still i have no clue how i survied the ’80 unharmed

Emi said on Jan. 9, 2011

Tony is gay, but most likely for Jeff. Do you remember at one point that Tony calls Jeff and asks for your name? Once you confirm your name, he just didn’t seem to feel like ending the call. That’s proof enough for the lot of us. XD

PKFreezeOmega said on Feb. 3, 2011

My sister is a JeffXTony fangirl. I should hide this article from her. To stay on topic I never wouldn’t thought Tony was gay, especially since Tony and my friend are very similar.

[...] party.  In fact, the references are subtle enough that Tony’s sexuality was only confirmed during an interview with the creator of Earthbound. However, he deserves credit for being a positive (and endearing) [...]

Ant1pr0t0n said on Jun. 12, 2011

I think the line that catches my attention most in this article is “They weren’t called Mr. Saturn at first, but they gained that name during development.” I am now extremely curious what their original name was…

The Earthbounder said on Jul. 3, 2011

You know what’s funny? There is a Grand Theft Auto IV DLC Called The Ballard Of Gay Tony. XD

Unidentified said on Jul. 25, 2011

I don’t get it. This whole idea of Tony being homosexual sounds retrofitted.

BigDream said on Aug. 24, 2011

Itoi… you are so weird…

Nyx Sparkle said on Jan. 8, 2012

I knew it.

paul bacaj said on Feb. 20, 2012

IM GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!

Clockwork64 said on May. 3, 2012

i have one question to ask to everybody…………..
……………………………………………..

HOW IS HE GAYYYY I know itoi creatid him but is there a story??????? >:O

Paula Polestar said on May. 22, 2012

Well, when you’re in a room full of guys all day, you gotta adapt…X9

Tony said on May. 26, 2012

I’m not gay!

[...] show this letter to anyone!” Years after the game’s release, director Shigesato Itoi confirmed Tony is gay. For more on Tony’s sexuality, check out this post on [...]

[...] reading character sexuality way deeper than I should, I should go ahead and let you know Itoi has confirmed Tony’s homosexuality and the evidence in the actual game is palpable. Naturally, the topic is not really explicitly [...]

loidonroids said on Jul. 25, 2012

Why do so many people (especially guys) care so much about other guys’ sexuality. It kinda makes them seem gay…

loidonroids said on Jul. 25, 2012

Oh and shut up about Grand Theft Auto, please.

357 said on Sep. 12, 2012

but is tony fake?

Hetero said on Oct. 5, 2012

“Opening pk hack”

jinxkatty7 said on Nov. 29, 2012

That is really cool of Itoi to have a gay character in EB. People sometimes act rude to those who are different and it was just really neat that he made the world of Mother more realistic by creating a character like that. But hey, I have a gay friend, and he’s really nice.

apollo said on Dec. 30, 2012

As a gay teenager playing Earthbound in the mid-90s, when it came to the scene with Tony, I couldn’t help but think, “Is he gay? He must be gay.” It was a great feeling to be able to identify with a character (albeit ancillary) in such an epic story. Thanks Mr. Itoi!

[...] most of the main characters in the game), but years later the game’s creator Shigesato Itoi stated that Tony is gay. This tends to be accepted as canonical information about the character, however, revealed through [...]

Honesty said on Aug. 2, 2013

Not stated in the game? Then it doesn’t mean anything.
Just a theory.

babby said on Aug. 6, 2013

“Not stated in the game? Then it doesn’t mean anything.
Just a theory.”

This is really stupid, “honesty”. First off, anyone who knows anything about science knows that theories need evidence! And there is MUCH evidence, considering how Tony seems to care “much more than expected” for his “best friend”. Also, you are misunderstanding the nature of art, especially the idea Death of the Author. Just because something isn’t stated DIRECTLY in a game doesn’t mean the audience can’t make their own interpretations, ESPECIALLY considering the level of obviousness in the inneuendo that is gayness.

SkylerCBunny said on Dec. 1, 2013

LOL -bunny

SuperMage said on Dec. 28, 2013

The ballad of Gay Tony, lulz.

VixOnAMoonsideTrip said on Jan. 2, 2014

I knew he was gay! That whole ‘dream’ comment when you first play as Jeff… I knew it.

mac said on Jan. 2, 2014

I wouldn’t have guessed he was gay. I just thought he eas annoying but not gay?

Phil said on Feb. 2, 2014

I think tony is gay as well (As proven by Itoi’s interview)

But when you play Chrono trigger, you run into Flea, and he’s even more gay than tony is.