Appreciating MOTHER 2’s Box
The topic’s come up a few times recently, so I figure I’ll translate this one snippet of an Itoi interview, which can be seen here. Note that this is also the same interview where he talks about the inspiration for Giygas.
In any case, here’s the tiny excerpt. I’ll translate the entireeeeeee thing someday. A few parts are already available on my blog, though.
Itoi: Well, for example, there’s a gay person in MOTHER 2. A really passionate friend who lives in an England-like place. I designed him to be a gay child. In a normal, real-life society, there are gay children, and I have many gay friends as well. So I thought it would be nice to add one in the game, too.
Also, the Mr. Saturns are symbols of innocence. In any normal society, there are those who don’t really fit in well with ordinary people, but actually have skills that surpass those of ordinary people. I personally love that sort of “power of innocence” in things. It’s a part of “Passionate Penguin Rice”, even. (note: that’s a book Itoi wrote around 1990) Oh, and things like Forrest Gump have it, too. I wanted people to love innocent characters like that too, which is why I added them into the game. They weren’t called Mr. Saturn at first, but they gained that name during development.
So there you go. Someday I’ll have the whole huge thing translated, but at least for now there’ll be this page to refer to whenever these questions come up!
Other Related Posts:
67 Comments to Yes, Tony is Gay. And Mr. Saturn is Innocent
- Dragonwarriorquestsagain: @hyperstar96 It’s not that they know nothing; they just don’t care. Why would they care? Are they afraid of...
- Leeaux: @Hyperstar96 I own both of them. Because it seems like a large amount of of the stages are from older games. But it’s probably...
- Hyperstar96: And thus Smash 4 continues the ongoing tradition of Nintendo knowing almost nothing about Mother. Don’t you all remember how...
- Anton: Man, Imagine if there were a remake of EB where the rest of the game looked this good.
- Leeaux: Well, strangely enough. Onett is the only Earthbound stage in the game. Even after they crafted that wonderful Magicant on the 3ds version....