Swag Watch for Nov. 13, 2011
The topic’s come up a few times recently, so I figure I’ll translate this one snippet of an Itoi interview, which can be seen here. Note that this is also the same interview where he talks about the inspiration for Giygas.
In any case, here’s the tiny excerpt. I’ll translate the entireeeeeee thing someday. A few parts are already available on my blog, though.
Itoi: Well, for example, there’s a gay person in MOTHER 2. A really passionate friend who lives in an England-like place. I designed him to be a gay child. In a normal, real-life society, there are gay children, and I have many gay friends as well. So I thought it would be nice to add one in the game, too.
Also, the Mr. Saturns are symbols of innocence. In any normal society, there are those who don’t really fit in well with ordinary people, but actually have skills that surpass those of ordinary people. I personally love that sort of “power of innocence” in things. It’s a part of “Passionate Penguin Rice”, even. (note: that’s a book Itoi wrote around 1990) Oh, and things like Forrest Gump have it, too. I wanted people to love innocent characters like that too, which is why I added them into the game. They weren’t called Mr. Saturn at first, but they gained that name during development.
So there you go. Someday I’ll have the whole huge thing translated, but at least for now there’ll be this page to refer to whenever these questions come up!
Other Related Posts:
67 Comments to Yes, Tony is Gay. And Mr. Saturn is Innocent
- FlyingManCourage: This is a cool idea but I have come to appreciate the “Tomato experience” too much now to go and change it. To me,...
- FlyingManCourage: LOL! I’m sitting here watching, thinking, what the heck is going to happen. I never expected that! haha.
- shuyin: Ahh, I’m a bit late on this. I love how they used a different pose for him than the hands-on-hips one they always did, it’s...
- Motdrafin: I’m pretty sure they print out the map, trace over what they want to stamp with an ebony pencil, copy it to a linoleum slab (the...
- Dr.x: I made one these once but it wasn’t as good as this one. I wish I had the patience to do this myself one day.