People ask every once in a while about there possibly being a MOTHER 4, so I decided I’d put together some info here for easy reference. If you see anyone asking about it, just point them here! 😀
First, there’s this video. It was from the live online chat thing Itoi held the night before MOTHER 3’s release in 2006. In it, he says that there won’t be a MOTHER 4.
— So let’s make a MOTHER 4, then!
Itoi: (makes a pu sound with his mouth, then laughs) Just making MOTHER 3 was already tough enough for me!
— But when you were working on MOTHER 2, ideas for MOTHER 3 sprouted in your mind, right? So some ideas for a MOTHER 4 have certainly sprouted this time around too, right?
Itoi: I just want to be the player now. (laughs)
— But there are already tons of other games out there you can enjoy from the player’s perspective.
Itoi: What I mean is, if someone were to come up to me and say, “I’d like to make a MOTHER 4,” I might just say, “Sure, go ahead!” (laugh) Yeah, if there was a MOTHER 4, I’d really love to play it.
EDIT (June 27, 2008): I forgot to mention that in one of the earliest interviews (he posted it the day M3 was released), he also says there won’t be a fourth game. Note that the quote above comes from an interview some months later, so there’s still a chance there could be a fourth game, just not made by him directly. Anyway, here’s the small snippet about MOTHER 4:
— Do you think you’ll make any more games after this?
Itoi: There won’t be a MOTHER 4.
There’s been nothing hinted at since that I’m aware of, so for now, a MOTHER 4 will remain an elusive dream for those who want more.
Other Related Posts:
227 Comments to Info on MOTHER 4
- Ness' Dad: Thanks for signing Ness’ hat!
- Nate1312: I got to attend the Camp, and all I can say is that you all did a fantastic job making it a truly one-of-a-kind experience. It was fun...
- Mato: Ryan: Thanks for the kind words! I always feel embarrassed when people say stuff like that to me 😛 As for Pokey, here’s his Twitter!...
- Bionicfemme: I’m gonna watch all of the streams over again and pretend I’ve gone back into a time machine to re-live the glory of this...
- Ryan: Btw, who played Pokey? Everyone was great but I thought the Pokey character was particularly tough and particularly well delivered.