Music Video: I Am EarthBound
People ask every once in a while about there possibly being a MOTHER 4, so I decided I’d put together some info here for easy reference. If you see anyone asking about it, just point them here!
First, there’s this video. It was from the live online chat thing Itoi held the night before MOTHER 3’s release in 2006. In it, he says that there won’t be a MOTHER 4.
– So let’s make a MOTHER 4, then!
Itoi: (makes a pu sound with his mouth, then laughs) Just making MOTHER 3 was already tough enough for me!
– But when you were working on MOTHER 2, ideas for MOTHER 3 sprouted in your mind, right? So some ideas for a MOTHER 4 have certainly sprouted this time around too, right?
Itoi: I just want to be the player now. (laughs)
– But there are already tons of other games out there you can enjoy from the player’s perspective.
Itoi: What I mean is, if someone were to come up to me and say, “I’d like to make a MOTHER 4,” I might just say, “Sure, go ahead!” (laugh) Yeah, if there was a MOTHER 4, I’d really love to play it.
EDIT (June 27, 2008): I forgot to mention that in one of the earliest interviews (he posted it the day M3 was released), he also says there won’t be a fourth game. Note that the quote above comes from an interview some months later, so there’s still a chance there could be a fourth game, just not made by him directly. Anyway, here’s the small snippet about MOTHER 4:
– Do you think you’ll make any more games after this?
Itoi: There won’t be a MOTHER 4.
There’s been nothing hinted at since that I’m aware of, so for now, a MOTHER 4 will remain an elusive dream for those who want more.
Other Related Posts:
227 Comments to Info on MOTHER 4
- MOTHERFAN77: Looks Great! I saw this on YouTube a couple of weeks ago. Ever since I heard it sings the Eight Melodies I wanted it since the Eight...
- mellow-osity: I’ll be excited to see if anyone mods the figures – like people turning Link into Dark Link.
- mellow-osity: Looks awesome! Following the Twitter account now.
- wow: Actually, this sounds VERY interesting. I’m telling the biology teacher.
- neonix: Like Motdrafin said. I’ve done linoleum carving before and I can say it takes quite a patient person to do something with such...