EarthBound Had Best SNES Debut
People ask every once in a while about there possibly being a MOTHER 4, so I decided I’d put together some info here for easy reference. If you see anyone asking about it, just point them here! 😀
First, there’s this video. It was from the live online chat thing Itoi held the night before MOTHER 3’s release in 2006. In it, he says that there won’t be a MOTHER 4.
— So let’s make a MOTHER 4, then!
Itoi: (makes a pu sound with his mouth, then laughs) Just making MOTHER 3 was already tough enough for me!
— But when you were working on MOTHER 2, ideas for MOTHER 3 sprouted in your mind, right? So some ideas for a MOTHER 4 have certainly sprouted this time around too, right?
Itoi: I just want to be the player now. (laughs)
— But there are already tons of other games out there you can enjoy from the player’s perspective.
Itoi: What I mean is, if someone were to come up to me and say, “I’d like to make a MOTHER 4,” I might just say, “Sure, go ahead!” (laugh) Yeah, if there was a MOTHER 4, I’d really love to play it.
EDIT (June 27, 2008): I forgot to mention that in one of the earliest interviews (he posted it the day M3 was released), he also says there won’t be a fourth game. Note that the quote above comes from an interview some months later, so there’s still a chance there could be a fourth game, just not made by him directly. Anyway, here’s the small snippet about MOTHER 4:
— Do you think you’ll make any more games after this?
Itoi: There won’t be a MOTHER 4.
There’s been nothing hinted at since that I’m aware of, so for now, a MOTHER 4 will remain an elusive dream for those who want more.
Other Related Posts:
227 Comments to Info on MOTHER 4
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...