February 15th, 2008 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

A lot (probably most) people aren’t aware of this, but MOTHER/MOTHER 2 composer Keiichi Suzuki had a song in 1991 called “Words, Colors, Noise, and Booms”… and Dalaam’s music comes from this song. For a long time I’ve searched for this song, and thanks to some cool people, now have a high-quality MP3 of it 😀

Man, I really love Suzuki’s style of music. Especially all the weird sounds and little things he adds in all his music. I really need to listen to more of his stuff and his Moonriders stuff. What little I’ve heard really sounds like my type of music. I think his style really helps make EarthBound’s music stand out and seem more trippy, while Hirokazu Tanaka’s simple yet sometimes complex melodies make things even more kickass and memorable. Shogo Sakai did good work on MOTHER 3, but the music there seemed too “standard” somehow. I like my music weird, which is why I really like the song above 😉

Note that the song comes from his “White Report” album. If you’re interested in adding it to your collection, try looking around here or Amazon Japan here.

POLL: Which version of the Dalaam song do you like better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

18 Comments to The Origin of Dalaam’s Music!

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Jan. 12, 2009

So THAT’S why EB isn’t on the Virtual Console yet!

Tansunn said on Jan. 13, 2009

Keiichi Suzuki also did a track that was used on the techno compilation album, Northern Exposure, and it’s pretty cool, too.

Tansunn said on Jan. 13, 2009

Also, I’m an idiot and didn’t even comment on this song. This is cool as hell. The arrangement for the game fits the location better, but this version is just awesome.

MagusDuality said on Jan. 29, 2009

Wow, this is cool! I’m going to have to look into some of hs other music.

Sonicandtails said on Feb. 7, 2009

Is Dalaams roof screwed up like that in the game?

Mato said on Feb. 7, 2009

Heh, I took the pic using the map editor, and the top parts are displayed using sprites, which I stupidly had turned off. So it’s half technical half me stupid 😛

Liam said on Feb. 15, 2009

I agree, Mother 3’s music was good but it didn’t have the same craziness. If you get hold of any of his stuff I need to know where you get it from. I need to listen to it too.

The retard of epic proportions said on Feb. 16, 2009

I really can’t hear the simalarities.

Mr Fork said on Feb. 16, 2009

someone didn’t listen to the whole song ^

Alpha Knight said on Feb. 18, 2009

the hq link just pulls me to earthsound 😐

Mato said on Feb. 19, 2009

Fixed, thanks for letting me know.

Aqy said on Mar. 17, 2009

I always thought that the Dalaam music was special, in that it needed a rock arrangement or something. So it was cool to discover this song. I observed that in the beginning of the song, there is a sound that is the same one used when hitting the buttons in front of the Sphinx in Scaraba. Check 0:45 is where it plays, and it plays again a couple times. It seems weird that it would just be a couincidence, to me.

Caligo said on Jul. 22, 2009

I think the song from “White Report” is definitely trippy. It was an interesting listen. But Suzuki’s music is always great to listen to. That was one of the things that really stuck in my mind after playing EarthBound/MOTHER2, was the music. The music in MOTHER3 was good, too, but it just didn’t have that same feel as in M2. It was neat to be able to listen to some of Suzuki’s music outside of M2. Although I do still prefer the Dalaam/Ramma theme song. But you definitely hear the origins of it in the song posted here. Thanks for sharing it!

Yoshimad123 said on Sep. 24, 2009

Although most of it didn’t sound that familiar, the ending certainly did!
Suzuki makes the awesomest (is that a word? xD) music.

mechanesthesia said on May. 12, 2011

This is awesome! Reminds me a lot of early New Wave with Kraftwerk influences.

Cube the Starman said on Jun. 5, 2011

I don’t know where the dalaam part comes in.:(

Cube the Starman said on Jun. 5, 2011

/\
I
I
I
I found it. It is when he starts singing and not whispering.

KA Gamer said on Jun. 30, 2012

Even though this doesn’t fit Dalaam as much as the music in EarthBound does, I really like this version better. I might just say thing because I’m used to the EarthBound version of Dalaam’s music.