February 29th, 2008 | Audio Stuff, Itoi, MOTHER 3, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

Today’s video is a music video of “The Knit Cap Man”, a song written by Shigesato Itoi and performed by the Moonriders in 1996. I subtitled it into English because I like it enough to do something like that 😛

As pointed out:

1. The lyrics were written by Itoi, and Itoi stars in the video

2. The music is done by the Moonriders, which is Keiichi Suzuki’s band, Keiichi Suzuki being one of the main EarthBound musicians

3. A character in MOTHER 3 is based off of the guy in this song

So now you know more than before! I just made your brain cells do some stuff. Isn’t that such a weird concept? I have control over your brain cells. Surrender all your valuables to me.

Anyway, if you’re a collector and interested in getting the album for this or getting the actual video release of this music video, you might find it here. If not there, you can almost certainly find it on Amazon Japan here or here.

POLL: What did you think of the music video?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

15 Comments to Itoi’s Music Video in English!

Poe said on Jan. 11, 2009

I would love to hear more Moonriders stuff. 😀 I like the vocalist for this song; it’s how I imagine Fujio-san would sound like.

Rufus said on Jan. 11, 2009

I love this song…

Ginrei said on Feb. 11, 2009

Is the Mother 3 character… Mapson? But no, he had no knit ha– ohh! The Friendly Item Depoist Guy?

Krennthief said on Feb. 13, 2009

I think the “End Teleportion” sound from EarthBound was in this song! Like a sort of “tongue-farting” sound, you know? It’s hard to explain…

Poe said on Feb. 22, 2009

You are correct, Ginrei! 😀

EarthBoundRules said on Apr. 6, 2009

The expression on Itoi’s face when he looked into the shack after Fujio-san died was perfect. I also love the song and the lyrics.

adam said on Jun. 11, 2009

is it just me or does itoi in that one shot look like that one bad dude in the raiders of the lost ark ?

uvoa said on Oct. 26, 2010

Ah, I came back to see this today, and I saw in the related videos, a version by wankappu-P who made miku sing it.
If you’re into that sort of thing, it was interesting.

Dark Jaguar said on Feb. 6, 2011

That’s a great song and a great video. The style isn’t really my thing normally, but it all pulls together. A friend who watched it asked “How come depression is so happy?”.

Anyway, what the heck is a tetropot? I looked it up on Wikipedia, Dictionary.com Webster online, and on Google, but I can’t find anything but call backs to this exact video. Are they talking about those weird concrete “jacks” all over the water front in the video? Anyone that can give me a source for that word would be appreciated.

Anonymous said on Jul. 23, 2011

Dark Jaguar: Just a spelling error, apparently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrapod_(structure)

BigDream said on Nov. 12, 2011

Sounds like it could go ok in Seseme Street ifyou edit the lyrics.
But not really.
LOL

TheMrSaturnGuy said on Apr. 3, 2012

Why does this music video remind me of Chulip?

Paula Polestar said on May. 22, 2012

A bathroom-sized plot of land…
Well, that really depends on how big the bathroom is.

BOING.

Nyx said on May. 27, 2012

The best song, ever.

Arturo said on May. 30, 2013

So sad. It makes me wonder how does Itoi manage to make anything emotional.