January 24th, 2008 | EarthBound, Misc.

Been tossing an idea around in my head the past few days. I’ve always wanted to do this on Starmen.Net since probably months after I started the site in 1999, but setting up a whole section for it would be hellish. But I think if I did it via a blog or something, maybe once week or so, in small doses, it could be pretty cool.

Part 1 of my idea would be to teach a row of kana (both hiragana and katakana) a week, using EB stuff to help people remember. Here are some old example pics.

Those characters being “a”, “mu”, and “yu”… “A” sounds like the “A” in “Atomic Power Robot”, “mu” sounds like the “Mu” in “Musica”, and “yu” sounds like the “U” in “UFO”.

Anyway, for Part 2 of my idea, I’d maybe do a whole row of kana a week (about 10 kana total) and then toss in some stuff to help people try to use the new kana. Like maybe have a bunch of the new kana all together in random combinations, and have people write them out in English letters, like “Amu yua muyuyu” for “あム ユあ ムユユ”. Maybe include some simple vocab words people can learn using their new kana, like “sushi” = すし and such.

Part 3 of my idea would be to include some MOTHER 2 screenshots where people can look for their new kana and possibly put them to use. Quick, lame example pic:

Anyway, not sure if it’s worth the time, and not even sure if people would visit regularly enough to make it worthwhile, but it’s something that could help people learn the evil moon language. Though it might also spawn future job competition for me, so I dunno 😛

POLL: If there was something like this on this site, would you use it?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

15 Comments to I Think I’m Teaching Japanese

Leirin said on Jan. 12, 2009

Yeah, Japanese in an evilly difficult language. But in terms of complexity, English very well may be harder–we’re just not aware of it because we’ve been learning it since we were born, really 😛

I’m proud that I can read everything in that screenshot.

Although I don’t directly know what he’s saying. 🙁 Something about getting homesick?

Mato said on Jan. 12, 2009

Yeah, he says he’s been feeling homesick lately, but… (and then he probably goes on to say he called his mom)

I was thinking last night how much easier it probably is for an English-speaker to learn Japanese than it is for a Japanese-speaker to learn English. The example that came to mind was 一時的. Even without learning the word formally, just knowing the kanji and the way 的 works, I can guess that it means something like “temporary” or “temporarily”. But if a Japanese speaker saw the word “temporary”, they probably wouldn’t be able to guess the meaning as easily.

I’m sure there are exceptions and stuff that works better in one language than another, but I think that it’s probably at least a little easier to pick up new words this way in Japanese.

Clockerstance said on Jan. 13, 2009

I find this kind of stuff really interesting. I enjoy reading about translations struggles and the likes. It would be read by me each week, this junk is cool.
Plus, look, Earthbound!

AbstractedThought said on Jan. 15, 2009

Sounds great! I’ve been wanting to learn Japanese for a long time and couldn’t for a number of reasons, most of which are due to where I live.

Slagy said on Jan. 25, 2009

I so need this. I’m pretty bad at learning new languages, and this actually relates to something I like.

Master of Ramen said on Jan. 28, 2009

I already know my Kana. However, if you’re going to teach words and such, then sure, why not?

Difegue said on Feb. 22, 2009

I’d like to take a dive into learning Japanese, which would make me a quadri-language dude(whoa), and allow me to understand japanese stuff we can’t have here.

So yeah, if you can do this it wouls be awesome.

VGMaster64 said on Mar. 1, 2009

I’m doing Japanese already. So far we’re in Katakana. First year is almost done. It was fairly easy for me to learn, but I had to study A LOT. Not like you already know that Tomato. 😛

Komaru said on Jul. 9, 2009

Haha, my Japanese teacher would always do crazy stuff like that.
あ, A=Aaaah! There’s a Snake!
く, Ku=Pakku-Man!
む, Mu=Moo, I’mma Cow.

curtmack said on Sep. 6, 2009

I learned Japanese from the “Adventures in Japanese” books, and they always came up with the most ridiculous mnemonics they could get away with.

My favorite was the one for the “6” kanji (六). It’s an elaborate hand sign where you hold out three fingers on each hand (hence 6) and then twist the other two in an unnatural way. It’s confusing, awkward and looks like a rude gesture or gang sign.

Mr. Crosser said on Dec. 1, 2009

a is in the Hiragana, mu and yu are in katakana

Mr. Nosy said on Dec. 13, 2009

…but you quit the “teach Kanji” posts in your old blog after two posts…

Kyoo said on Feb. 17, 2010

I believe if I did this with your graphical help and my love for earthbound. I could learn Japanese a lot faster than I’ve been currently learning it. so please do this.

Kyoo said on Feb. 20, 2010

wow, I was checking my charts and i was failing horribly. but when I came across “ユ”, I saw a cute little UFO with a bow, in my minds eye. I remembered it was “yu”. I was so happy. thank you, thank you so much. it might just be help with one out of so many. but you’ve forever taught me ユ really good idea. thank you so very much.

BusterTheFox said on Oct. 19, 2012

A shame this is such an old post; No schools in my area teach Japanese, and the only alternative I have is that Rosetta Stone program, but I can’t ever make myself actually boot it up. I get on my computer and the first thing I think is “VIDEO GAMES AND ANIME” and boot up Google Chrome. Exactly what I’m doing now! D: I know for sure I would love this. I can’t start learning the words before I learn the symbols (well, I could, but it would be tougher than it needed to be).

Maybe my little necropost can remind you of this idea. 😀

Find Merchandise!