An EarthBound Birthday Cake
Archive for 2008
In early 2008 I started translating and/or summarizing many of Itoi’s daily posts on his website at 1101.com. For convenience’s sake, you can find these translations here. Also, any future “Eye on Itoi” posts will be made here on EarthBound Central rather than on that message thread. So keep an eye on this site too ...Read More »
As many know by now, a lot of stuff was changed during the localization from MOTHER 2 to EarthBound. One of the most famous changes is that Ness is naked when walking around inside his mind in MOTHER 2, but in EarthBound, they put pajamas on him. (more…) ...Read More »
Back when EarthBound was released on the Super NES, the game came with a big ol’ strategy guide for free. Inside the guide were some smelly scratch-n-sniff cards, and with one card, you had to identify the smell and send your answer in to Nintendo. Supposedly, if you got the answer right, you would get something. (more…) ...Read More »
When we last left off, Master Belch had just used the Bad Key Machine he stole from Jeff to infiltrate the Mach Pizza in Twoson. He also caught Paula with some of Melon Kid’s Pretty Girl Paper. Little did he know that Ness likes both pizza and Paula… (more…) ...Read More »
The other day, I ran across a show showcasing all the top retro games that Japanese people have fond memories of, hosted by some SMAP people. One part of it included the MOTHER games, so I put it on Youtube for all. Incidentally, the SMAP members are included in MOTHER 2 as some default names, as I mentioned here. ...Read More »
A couple weeks ago I still had the itch to do some light GBA ROM hacking, so I gave the MOTHER 1 part of MOTHER 1+2 a look. It’s been a breeze to hack, and I got most of the hacking done in a few days. I plan to do a retranslation of the game from scratch, plus a few other improvements, some of which are already seen in these screens and video. Some of the things you can expect from th...Read More »
- Anonymous: You’re making assumptions slanted by your pessimism surrounding the game, to a degree where you fallaciously metamorphosed what I...
- Oh My: Yes, it made sense for them to take advantage of Google results by calling it Mother 4, thereby granting them more interest from the Mother...
- Anonymous: “You’ve basically admitted that the developers named it that specifically for advertising purposes.” – Oh my “I...
- Oh My: I don’t see the problem. We’re arguing civilly. We’re not calling each other names or anything. It was your decision to...
- Some Guy: I have to agree with PSIPumpkin. Let’s move on.